Thread: S&W Model 37 advice

S&W Model 37 advice

I've found a 2 in. Model 37 at a local shop for around $400.00. I'm not really up on lightweight K frames and could use some pointers on their weak points so I can make sure I'm not buying somebody elses nightmare. I can run a decent physical on the usual revolver hot spots but are there any tell-tale signs involving the frame itself I should be aware of?

Thanks!
    Bob
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    First: a 37 is an airweight J frame .38. Pics would help.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    First: a 37 is an airweight J frame .38. Pics would help.
    This.

I have a 37, no dash, that I regularly carry. It weighs less than my 642 due to an aluminum cylinder and is even more uncomfortable to shoot. I have a pair of Herrett Shooting Star grips that I've modified/butchered to make it easier to shoot. The 37s had problems with cracked frames but from what I've read it was due to over tightening the barrels and not stress from shooting. It's nice but with my physical issues I'd be willing to trade both of my J frames for a 43c or LCR 22lr. Nothing wrong with the 37, mine has had a hard life as it was used for decades as a detective's or undercover handgun for a local PD and is perfectly fine other than showing years of use.

I have owned two over the years, one cracked the frame at the forcing cone and had to be scrapped. The other frame "stretched" to the point where it started having light strikes on one chamber and the cylinder had to be shimmed to get it back to firing all 5 chambers.

I do not consider the M37 to be a "shooter", just not a durable design. It might function just fine but I would not count on putting thousands of rounds down range without problems. I think most that were not in police service saw one box of cartridges or less during their lifetime and sat in a sock drawer or bedside table or glove box for 30 years.

I did say K frame didn't I? It's a lightweight Chiefs Special, and a square butt at that!

Name:  sorrychief.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  28.9 KB
    -Thomas Jefferson

In addition to the obvious things to watch for (i.e. timing/carryup, endshake, etc.) be sure to check the frame under the barrel with the cylinder open. It is not super uncommon to find an aluminium framed gun cracked from the factory due to overtightening of the barrel upon installation. If it is cracked do not buy it.

I've decided to pass on the M37. For just a little bit more I can buy a more modern version with (hopefully) the newest updates.

Thanks to all of you for the advice.

Bob
    -Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    Make sure you look over the new one as well as you would an older one.

This is was mine. They replaced it.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....459#post894459
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List