Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22lr AR. S&W or HK??

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The magazine of the S&W is excellent. It’s so good there are mag well adaptors to allow use of the S&W mags with CMMG type .22 uppers and conversion kits.
    Exactomundo…

I had BDM magazines in my Spikes/CMMG setup. Used a modified CMMG magazine adapter to allow for locking the bolt back. Once I got my M&P15/22 pistol, I switched over completely to M&P magazines. Best move, as controls are identical to big brother.

I've had an M&P15-22 since they hit the stores. It went back to the factory once, early on, for recall repair - other than that, it's been 100% for me and all the younger shooters I've trained on it. The Tippman looks cool, and, I guess if you were really looking for a trainer that closely simulates a "real" AR, it would be the smarter choice. But you can get the S&W and a butt load of magazines for the cost of the Tippman by itself.

At my local club we shoot .22LR rifles quite a bit. Usually 2 to 3 matches with .22LR rifles each month. 2 out 3 shooters there, myself included, use the S&W M&P15-22.
    When we see malfunctions it's typically with the other brands of .22LR rifles. I've got close to 3000 rounds thru mine and it runs like a champ. It's only been cleaned less than a handful of times since new and yet it chugs along. And as mentioned above, you can swap out the trigger. I use a nice Hiperfire trigger in mine.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 05-29-2023 at 04:17 PM.

25k through one 15/22 SBR. Other than an out of battery issue that launched the original extractor, it’s been very reliable with a variety of bulk pack. About 1k through the 15/22P I bought as a “have pistol, will travel” option. Waiting on the amnesty paperwork for that one.

Get the McFadden lightning grip loader. That thing is a godsend for loading these mags.
    http://www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1828
    Last edited by jandbj; 05-29-2023 at 08:12 PM.

I bought an M&P15-22 rifle a few years ago. Right out of the box it was perfect except thT the bolt hold open spring was too stiff and the mag spring couldn't push the BHO up in front of the bolt in time when the mag went empty. I wasn't the only person to experience this and someone said clip some coils off the spring to fix it. I did and now it's absolutely perfect.

I bought a 15-22 pistol maybe a year ago and it was horrible at first but broke in and started working just in time to get parted out thanks to the brace rule change.

I also have an adapter that lets me use the 15-22 mags in a regular AR with a CMMG conversion bolt and the mags work great in that too.

The S&W mags seem to be easier to come by than other rimfire AR mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    With no insight to budget or action type (but autos mentioned and a 10/22 owned), I will suggest some classic choices.

For rifles, there are tons of good choices. Since you have an auto, other action types would be the Ruger American (bolt), Winchester 52 (target bolt), and the Marlin 39A(S) (lever). For pistols, the older designs are great choices. The Ruger Standard/Mark pistols are hard to beat without splashing out for a target model. If money is no object, a Volquartsen Classic built on a Ruger Mark II or Mark III is hard to beat.
    Semi auto under $500.

I never really cared for 22. Bought the 10/22 cause people were raving about them. Shot it a few times and meh. I mostly equate 22 to BB guns. I would have loved a 22 when I was 13 but as an adult I was just not interested in that caliber. But shooting my friend's 15/22 about a year ago I was thinking this is more fun than I remember. Since then I've been kinda thinking about it in the back of my mind.

Seems like SW is a pretty sold choice.

To the member who suggested updating the 10/22. I've thought about that and did some looking into it but ultimately I'm not the kind of person who has interest/patience in building or fiddling with stuff. No projects. Every time I think I'm going to build this or that up I end up instantly loosing interest and eventually selling for a loss. There's been a few 1911s, FALs and AKs like that. I still can't make myself start reloading my 45-70 even though I have all the stuff

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List