Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr AR. S&W or HK??

22lr AR. S&W or HK??

I'm not really a big 22lr shooter. Have an older 10/22 that was last shot maybe 15 years ago. It's always been a little finicky with ammo but have been thinking maybe it's time to play with some 22lr pistols and rifles.

I've shot a friend's S&W MP and he swears by it's reliability. I've also seen the HK and I know it's not actually made by HK. They're both priced about the same. Id there any reason to get one over the other?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I’ve had the S&W since they came out, no issues.

The S&W is a solid product. If you want to go all out, look at the offerings from Tippman. Checks all the boxes except price.

https://tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22-elite-goa/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I would avoid the HK/Umarex/GSG offering. I’ve never been impressed by their guns.

Site Supporter
    I've had my Walther/Umarex HK 416 for several years...other than occasionally choking on cheap, filthy bulk ammo it's ran great.

Name:  hk416-22.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  45.8 KB

Have owned both, Umarex ran but the trigger sucked and nothing you can really do about it that I could find, sent it down the road. S&W runs great and takes standard AR trigger components so mine has a nice two stage match trigger using the OEM trigger and hammer springs. I did the replace extractor and firing pin with VOLQUARTSEN parts based on some recommendations from folks here. No issues at all with Federal Auto Match or the CCI AR ammo.

With no insight to budget or action type (but autos mentioned and a 10/22 owned), I will suggest some classic choices.

For rifles, there are tons of good choices. Since you have an auto, other action types would be the Ruger American (bolt), Winchester 52 (target bolt), and the Marlin 39A(S) (lever). For pistols, the older designs are great choices. The Ruger Standard/Mark pistols are hard to beat without splashing out for a target model. If money is no object, a Volquartsen Classic built on a Ruger Mark II or Mark III is hard to beat.

Another option is to customize your 10/22! There are plenty of aftermarket support for the old 10/22 and if you want the tacticool AR look, there are several companies that make ARstyle chassis/stocks. Another benefit of sticking with the 10/22 is that mags are always available for them.

I’ve had the M&P 15-22 for several years and a bunch of rounds. Runs reliably with various cheap ammo and no maintenance aside from Slip2000 to the bolt. But, it feels like a toy because it is so lightweight.

More recently purchase a Tippmann as it more closely approximates the feel of an AR. Very high quality. Runs well. Mags are a little more fancy and expensive (I think). I had one range day where the gun kept failing to feed and I think it was because I was careless in loading the mag and they were nosing into the ramp. So the mag loading is slightly more fiddly than the Smith.

I enjoy them both, but have been more inclined to pick up the Tippman lately.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    I’ve had the M&P 15-22 for several years and a bunch of rounds. Runs reliably with various cheap ammo and no maintenance aside from Slip2000 to the bolt. But, it feels like a toy because it is so lightweight.

More recently purchase a Tippmann as it more closely approximates the feel of an AR. Very high quality. Runs well. Mags are a little more fancy and expensive (I think). I had one range day where the gun kept failing to feed and I think it was because I was careless in loading the mag and they were nosing into the ramp. So the mag loading is slightly more fiddly than the Smith.

I enjoy them both, but have been more inclined to pick up the Tippman lately.
    This^

I’m a big fan of .22 ARs. Have 2 S&W rifles, a Tippmann rifle and pistol.

Personally, I prefer the Tippmann due the weight and the solid feel but both S&W and Tippmann generally operate like a real AR.

I think it depends on your purpose. The Smith & Wesson is great for kids or others who need a lighter gun.

In addition to reliability issues, the manual of arms for the Umarex clones does not match that of a regular AR.

The magazine of the S&W is excellent. It’s so good there are mag well adaptors to allow use of the S&W mags with CMMG type .22 uppers and conversion kits.

User Tag List