Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prairie Dog optic

Prairie Dog optic

I have been bitten by the P-dog hunting bug and I am planning a trip to do so next year. I have a rifle on order, Tikka Varmint in .223, and now I need to scope it.

What power scope should I be looking at and should I go SFP or FFP? The outfitter I will be using is in Oklahoma. The guy that turned me on to it said he was seeing steady 25mph winds.

I plan on bringing a T1x in .22 and a T3x in .223 as backup rifles to use while the varmint cools down with Trijicon 3-9X40 Mil/Mil SFP scopes mounted on them. I am open to changing them to match reticles/focal planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    I have been bitten by the P-dog hunting bug and I am planning a trip to do so next year. I have a rifle on order, Tikka Varmint in .223, and now I need to scope it.

What power scope should I be looking at and should I go SFP or FFP? The outfitter I will be using is in Oklahoma. The guy that turned me on to it said he was seeing steady 25mph winds.

I plan on bringing a T1x in .22 and a T3x in .223 as backup rifles to use while the varmint cools down with Trijicon 3-9X40 Mil/Mil SFP scopes mounted on them. I am open to changing them to match reticles/focal planes.
    Back when I did that, my favorite was a 6.5-20. I had a Simmons, but would’ve had a Leupold if I could have afforded it. My partner had the Leupold. My first trip I had a 3-9 on a Ruger 223 varmint gun but I didn’t feel it was enough magnification.

Site Supporter
    What is the range you will be shooting at? And what does your eye condition say is acceptable to the plane of the scopes you mentioned.

More power is better for taking time at hitting little things. But it becomes a conundrum. Dialing in on a specific distance is easy at range you know when you can call it.
    Last edited by camel; 05-28-2023 at 03:05 PM.

~3-15 or 20 is a good choice, enough top end to see but not get lost on the town. Your bullet and wind will be more of a variable unless you're staying close. A reticle that isn't too coarse or busy is also handy.

I like this one w/ MOAR F1, lots of capability: https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...8-25-20x50-f1/
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What is your budget? That is probably the most important consideration to guide recs

I'll plug the Meopta Optika6 line if you're looking for something around or under $1k. I have the 3-18 on a 6.5CM and love it. Have heard great things about the 5-30. Would be what I'd be looking at for your application for the low-middle price bracket

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What is the range you will be shooting at? And what does your eye condition say is acceptable to the plane of the scopes you mentioned.

More power is better for taking time at hitting little things. But it becomes a conundrum. Dialing in on a specific distance is easy at range you know when you can call it.
    My friend that went said from point blank to 350 was what they were shooting. 2nd day they started shooting only 200 yds or longer for more challenge.

I figure I would do the same. But I assume it depends on where the outfitter takes us. I will be using a .223 with 50gr hp most likely.

I am okay with either SFP or FFP from an eye standpoint. I have mostly only owned SFP scopes though. I only owned an Athlon Helos BTR 2-12 for a brief time. I liked the reticle and the FFP, didn't like the weight or the eye relief with the short length. It didn't fit on the Tikka longer action without being mounted really high. Made it hard to get comfortable behind and un balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is your budget? That is probably the most important consideration to guide recs

I'll plug the Meopta Optika6 line if you're looking for something around or under $1k. I have the 3-18 on a 6.5CM and love it. Have heard great things about the 5-30. Would be what I'd be looking at for your application for the low-middle price bracket
    I was hoping to keep it around the $1,000 range if possible.

I want Mil/Mil for sure but other than that I am flexible. All my hunting has been with SFP scopes at ranges that don't need wind holds. Over and under hold due to elevation changes is pretty much all I have done.

Site Supporter

I want Mil/Mil for sure but other than that I am flexible. All my hunting has been with SFP scopes at ranges that don't need wind holds. Over and under hold due to elevation changes is pretty much all I have done.
    Wind holds would do you right. I’m just saying.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

I would definitely strongly consider the 5-30 Optika6 with the MRAD reticle, then.

SportOptics has 2 for sale (they import in batches and sell fast). Use the discount code EURO16 to get 16% off - comes out to just about $1050 before shipping in my cart.

I got mine from Sportoptics, they ship fast, no issues whatsoever.

Site Supporter
    Name:  4F95B8CF-661C-4417-B03B-4EE905B0878E.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  89.1 KB
    You will love the Varmint. Mine is also .223 and easily puts 10 holes into an inch at 100m. I put a Bushnell 3.5-21 DMR Pro on top. You won’t find a better optic at the $1K point. Well known for rugged and repeatable dialing, great warranty, and made with good glass at LOW in Japan.
    Last edited by TOTS; 05-31-2023 at 08:42 AM.

User Tag List