Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holoson ACSS opinions

Holoson ACSS opinions

Just wondering who's been running one of these for a while and what your opinions are of it. I got to play with the 507 C ACSS in red for a little while and I didn't see a real advantage from static shooting from a draw but shooting around barricades and odd positions definitely seem to help. I be curious to hear what Scott Jedlinsky has to say about it. My ideal sight would be the large outer ring with a 2 MOA dot but I reached out to Holoson and they have no plans of producing that I definitely prefer the dot over the Chevron .opinions would be appreciated Thank you

Pretty sure there’s already a thread on this around here somewhere. I’ve been using them for years and have been very happy. They’re on my RDS pistols as well as 12:00 mounted on my LPVOs.

The circle does what it’s supposed to and I’m much more accurate with a chevron than dot, at least on a pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Optic reticle preference can be so varied from person to person. What one person likes and works for their eyes someone else could be the exact opposite.

I have found I like it on a carry gun. On a dedicated comp gun I would go SRO or the new Holosun comp optic(no experience with it though).

I think Holosun has the Vulcan reticle with a 2 or 3 MOA dot. I think it is the smaller 507k.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Pretty sure there’s already a thread on this around here somewhere. I’ve been using them for years and have been very happy. They’re on my RDS pistols as well as 12:00 mounted on my LPVOs.

The circle does what it’s supposed to and I’m much more accurate with a chevron than dot, at least on a pistol.
    Link to the PA/Holosun ACSS Vulcan thread
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....S-Vulcan/page7

Like @Wake27, I found the chevron easy to be accurate with. The big circle provides useful information when the dot is "lost".

However, after giving it a try for several matches and a lot of practice sessions I strongly prefer a simple dot reticle for pistols. For me, a small dot (2-3moa) yields equal precision to the chevron, and a larger dot 5-6moa is much better for USPSA style shooting. I pretty much never lose my dot, so the big circle wasn't helpful, and did not make the window "effectively bigger", as I had hoped.

I'm now using the 509t2 ACSS on an Arisaka offset mount on an 18" AR with an LPVO, and it excels in that role.

I think @JCL is running a 509t2 ACSS on his grizzly defense gun?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    Just wondering who's been running one of these for a while and what your opinions are of it. I got to play with the 507 C ACSS in red for a little while and I didn't see a real advantage from static shooting from a draw but shooting around barricades and odd positions definitely seem to help. I be curious to hear what Scott Jedlinsky has to say about it. My ideal sight would be the large outer ring with a 2 MOA dot but I reached out to Holoson and they have no plans of producing that I definitely prefer the dot over the Chevron .opinions would be appreciated Thank you
    Paging @AsianJedi...

I think the entire ACSS concept is a Primary Arms thing and not a Holosun thing. And since we seem to be discussing pistol dots, it's more specifically the ACSS Vulcan. There's now actually two versions of the reticle; ACSS Vulcan and ACSS Vulcan Dot. This first, and original concept, is the 10MOA-tall chevron with 250MOA circle available in 507C and 509 sights. The second, ACSS Vulcan Dot, is a 3MOA center dot with 230MOA dashed circle available in the 507k configuration.

ACSS Vulcan, 10MOA-tall chevron with 250MOA circle, 507C and 509:
    Name:  HS507C-X2-ACSS_04.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  32.4 KB
    Name:  HS507C-X2-ACSS_05.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  29.0 KB

ACSS Vulcan Dot, 3MOA center dot with 230MOA dashed circle, 507k:
    Name:  HS507K-X2-ACSS_20.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  13.9 KB

They're intuitive for new shooters and anyone shooting from unconventional positions. You sacrifice about half your battery life when the outer circle is turned on. In my own experience, the chevron makes it harder for me to "shoot the streak" but easier to find on the draw for unconventional shooting like one-handed off-hand, barricades, etc. It's a fantastic concept that could use some more development.

ETA: If you don't mind shifting away from target focus, looking for your iron sights might accomplish the same thing in unconventional shooting positions. I don't have enough experience to say which method is faster.
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 06-01-2023 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

...I think @JCL is running a 509t2 ACSS on his grizzly defense gun?
    Yes, that reticle is an acquired taste IMO. There's so much going on visually as compared to a simple dot that it seems to demand attention better directed toward the target. I agree that the chevron is useful for increased aiming accuracy at longer distances, but for normal use I think that my pea-sized brain processes it as just a big sloppy dot.
    "The older I get, the more I think that just staying home and drinking the good stuff by yourself is way underrated as a healthy practice." - Totem Polar

"An entire worldview devoted to being offside." - feudist

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    Yes, that reticle is an acquired taste IMO. There's so much going on visually as compared to a simple dot that it seems to demand attention better directed toward the target. I agree that the chevron is useful for increased aiming accuracy at longer distances, but for normal use I think that my pea-sized brain processes it as just a big sloppy dot.
    I think the main innovation of the ACSS Vulcan reticle is the big circle. Do you find it useful? You've got it on a handgun meant as a last-ditch defense against a bear attack. Maybe the circle would be helpful in finding the dot in unconventional positions? Like WHO with a bear chewing on the other arm?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think the main innovation of the ACSS Vulcan reticle is the big circle. Do you find it useful? You've got it on a handgun meant as a last-ditch defense against a bear attack. Maybe the circle would be helpful in finding the dot in unconventional positions? Like WHO with a bear chewing on the other arm?
    I think that aiming with sights in that situation would be aspirational, but a valid point for other unconventional positions that don’t involve being eaten.
    "The older I get, the more I think that just staying home and drinking the good stuff by yourself is way underrated as a healthy practice." - Totem Polar

"An entire worldview devoted to being offside." - feudist

Quote Originally Posted by JCL View Post
    I think that aiming with sights in that situation would be aspirational, but a valid point for other unconventional positions that don’t involve being eaten.
    "Aspirational" is putting it mildly. Aiming while grappling a bear was a dumb thing for me to suggest. Thanks for being kind in pointing that out

User Tag List