Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holoson ACSS opinions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think the main innovation of the ACSS Vulcan reticle is the big circle. Do you find it useful? You've got it on a handgun meant as a last-ditch defense against a bear attack. Maybe the circle would be helpful in finding the dot in unconventional positions? Like WHO with a bear chewing on the other arm?
    The circle part of the ACSS could be useful with a dot or even a smaller circle reticle.

However, I HATE the Vulcan reticle with the chevron.

I’ve seen several new RDS shooters buy Vulcan reticles to aid their transition from irons. The problem is they wind up focusing on the apex of the chevron like it’s a front sight instead of focusing on the target. This results in all the issues that occur when one is looking at / chasing the dot instead of maintaining target focus.

Chevrons work fine in LPVOs and prism optics like the ACOG but they are shit in an RDS on a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The circle part of the ACSS could be useful with a dot or even a smaller circle reticle.
    I just picked up a Vulcan Dot 507k and I think the concept has more merit with the smaller sight. And yes, it's a dot in the middle.

Im still figuring out this whole dot thing, but I was given a 507C Vulcan as a gift, which delayed my purchase of another PMO, while I wait for the 507COMP, or hopefully find a 407CO, in the used market.

I can see where the large ring would help, in very unusual positions, or for people who don't spend alot of time building/maiting a good index, with finding the dot. However, I shut off the ring almost right away, to keep working on perfecting my index. I'd rather have a dot or circle than the chevron, but its ok.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Im still figuring out this whole dot thing, but I was given a 507C Vulcan as a gift, which delayed my purchase of another PMO, while I wait for the 507COMP, or hopefully find a 407CO, in the used market.

I can see where the large ring would help, in very unusual positions, or for people who don't spend alot of time building/maiting a good index, with finding the dot. However, I shut off the ring almost right away, to keep working on perfecting my index. I'd rather have a dot or circle than the chevron, but it’s ok.

Re: the large ring - I agree with its potential for unusual positions or one handed but the more I think about it, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

- It is not a substitute for putting in the work to build a proper index, especially for institutional users; I can see some LE agencies using it as an excuse to not do proper transition training;

- for those who need to shoot at “the speed of life” the seeing flashes of red where the dot is not actually located is detrimental when pushing minimum required sight confirmation at speed.

Holoson ACSS opinions

Re: the large ring - I agree with its potential for unusual positions or one handed but the more I think about it, the juice is not worth the squeeze.

- It is not a substitute for putting in the work to build a proper index, especially for institutional users; I can see some LE agencies using it as an excuse to not do proper transition training;

- for those who need to shoot at “the speed of life” the seeing flashes of red where the dot is not actually located is detrimental when pushing minimum required sight confirmation at speed.
    Good enough is an impossible topic to conquer and dangerous to even try, but I shot Steel Challenge’s Smoke and Hope in 3.22, 3.04, 2.81, 5.08 (malfunction and a miss), and 2.something (vid cut off and I’m not looking at practiscore) a few weeks ago.

I would’ve liked faster but considering I was using an ALS holster, don’t dryfire, and have probably shot less than 200 rounds of pistol this calendar year, I don’t think it was bad. I also don’t have any classification, shot my last match in July of last year (I think that was the only time I shot a pistol match at all last year), and would say I haven’t been on top of really training pistol since 2019. I was shooting a Roland Special variant Glock 45 with 124gr Lawman though so that comp helps.

Any limitation on speed that I had, may or may not have been that specific reticle, but I absolutely can’t say that it slows me down. I can say for certain that I’m more accurate with a chevron though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Good enough is an impossible topic to conquer and dangerous to even try, but I shot Steel Challenge’s Smoke and Hope in 3.22, 3.04, 2.81, 5.08 (malfunction and a miss), and 2.something (vid cut off and I’m not looking at practiscore) a few weeks ago.

I would’ve liked faster but considering I was using an ALS holster, don’t dryfire, and have probably shot less than 200 rounds of pistol this calendar year, I don’t think it was bad. I also don’t have any classification, shot my last match in July of last year (I think that was the only time I shot a pistol match at all last year), and would say I haven’t been on top of really training pistol since 2019. I was shooting a Roland Special variant Glock 45 with 124gr Lawman though so that comp helps.

Any limitation on speed that I had, may or may not have been that specific reticle, but I absolutely can’t say that it slows me down. I can say for certain that I’m more accurate with a chevron though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    If you’re already familiar with target, focus, shooting using a pistol optic you can make it work, but then again, I can hammer a nail with a rock, it doesn’t mean it’s optimal.

Conversely, I’ve seen three different individuals who bought this optic, because of the outer ring to aid their transition from iron sights to a pistol optic who were “chasing the dot” because they were looking at the apex of the chevron instead of the front sight. All three showed significant improvement when they switched to a dot reticle.

IME the apex draws the eye and if you don’t maintain hard target focus, you wind up doing eye sprints between the target in the apex of the reticle.

However, I HATE the Vulcan reticle with the chevron.

I’ve seen several new RDS shooters buy Vulcan reticles to aid their transition from irons. The problem is they wind up focusing on the apex of the chevron like it’s a front sight instead of focusing on the target. This results in all the issues that occur when one is looking at / chasing the dot instead of maintaining target focus.

Chevrons work fine in LPVOs and prism optics like the ACOG but they are shit in an RDS on a pistol.
    I too hate the chevron

User Tag List