Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which JM Custom for AIWB?

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I wish Todd's blog was still up.
    It is!

Regarding your objection of having to buy a "bigger" holster making the Shield pointless, I think you are looking at it upside down. With dialed in AIWB you can conceal an M&P compact and it will print the same or less than a Shield carried at 4:00. On top of that you have a faster draw, better retention of the weapon, and other benefits.
    AIWB allows most people to carry a gun that is much closer to the gun they actually spend time practicing with, which in and of itself is a huge benefit.
    If none of the advantages of carrying a bigger gun appeal to you, you can also just AIWB the shield. Youll still get way better concealability, a faster draw, etc. IME its MUCH more comfy as well, though yes it did take some experimentation and adaptation to get there for me.

Only you can decide if the advantages are worth the downsides: $$ on holsters and belts, the effort of doing some experimenting, and the low odds but high stakes possibility of killing yourself while reholstering.

Not everyone can carry a bigger gun AIWB. Some people have to choose a smaller gun if they want to go AIWB.

(I say this as someone who finally got AIWB to work for him by carrying a 2019 still-STI Staccato P with an RMR, an X300U-B, and the "slim" extended magwell that graced the original Staccato Ps in a PHLster Floodlight.)
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I only want to address the timeframe when appendix carry started to become more popular with the mainstream shooting community. I was reading Todd Green’s blog pistol-training.com during college starting in the 2008-2009 timeframe. He was already carrying AIWB. Shortly after that was around the time he started working with Custom Carry Concepts on AIWB specific holsters like the Looper. Things kicked off from there with additional manufacturers, both kydex and leather. Mainstream popularity really started increasing about 15 years ago, not 5. The first purpose built AIWB holster that I remember actually being mainstream and not just popular with enthusiasts was the Raven Concealment Eidolon which I believe was released in 2015. We could also go waaaaaay further back with the original Milt Sparks Summer Special being designed as a straight-drop AIWB holster.
    you could go way back further but up until about 5-10 yrs about the majority carried IWB strong side. It used to be hard to find a "good" AIWB holster for many guns, now every manufacture makes more AIWB holsters than anything else.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Regarding your objection of having to buy a "bigger" holster making the Shield pointless, I think you are looking at it upside down. With dialed in AIWB you can conceal an M&P compact and it will print the same or less than a Shield carried at 4:00. On top of that you have a faster draw, better retention of the weapon, and other benefits.
    AIWB allows most people to carry a gun that is much closer to the gun they actually spend time practicing with, which in and of itself is a huge benefit.
    If none of the advantages of carrying a bigger gun appeal to you, you can also just AIWB the shield. Youll still get way better concealability, a faster draw, etc. IME its MUCH more comfy as well, though yes it did take some experimentation and adaptation to get there for me.

Only you can decide if the advantages are worth the downsides: $$ on holsters and belts, the effort of doing some experimenting, and the low odds but high stakes possibility of killing yourself while reholstering.
    I ordered some Tenicor certum holsters along with the JM kydex IWB 3 holster. The Tenior holsters can play double duty, both AIWB and strong side carry. This way I can try both out. Thanks for the post.

The Certum 3 is my favorite Tenicor holster. I like it much better than the Velo 4. I think you’ll like it. Don’t be afraid to play around with ride height and the height of that bump to the side of the clips for grip tuck. You might find that small variations make major differences in comfort and concealment.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The Certum 3 is my favorite Tenicor holster. I like it much better than the Velo 4. I think you’ll like it. Don’t be afraid to play around with ride height and the height of that bump to the side of the clips for grip tuck. You might find that small variations make major differences in comfort and concealment.
    My experience to a T.
    Took about 2 weeks to truly tweek it to the best comfort.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Which clips does everyone recommend?

I’m currently using something akin to a JMCK quick clip. Open to ideas I don’t know about on that.

How about the guard height?
    Thanks
    I use DCC Monoblock clips with my JMCK Holsters and a Full Guard. You can always trim it down if you don't like it.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Got the Tenicor Certum

So I received the Tenicor Certum holsters and do like them very much. Great holster.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong here, but my Glock 19 conceals MUCH better at 4:00 than 12:00 or 1:00 position. I wear fitted clothes. Nothing tight, but not baggy either. Good stiff leather belt and largest camming bar in the appendix position. With one of my regular t-shirts the printing is terrible. Even with a loose fitting shirt there is visible printing in the appendix position. The camming bar does a nice job tucking the butt of the gun into my body, but you can see this large bulge and I really don't think a wedge would help as the printing is at the belt line. G19 is a thick double stack and I am a thinner guy.

Maybe it is just me, but in the 4:00 position my G19 disappears. Wife could not even tell where I was carrying when I had it in the 4:00 position. Maybe its the natural curvature of my body, does seem to tuck into that spot nicely.

Anyone else feel IWB 4:00 conceals better than AIWB for them?

Still waiting on the "Quick Ship" JM Custom Kydex IWB 3.
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 06-03-2023 at 11:38 AM.

If I'm standing still then an IWB holster can conceal well.

The second I bend over, twist, pick up something, etc. it all goes to shit.

Most people prefer a thinner belt for AIWB. Thick belts(especially leather with a traditional buckle) create a large bulge up front. I'm a fan of the Mastermind belts or Tenicor.
    ETA: pics of carrying with a thin nylon belt. I'll also add that belt mounts matter. I much prefer slim steel clips vs. PTD loops.
    Name:  2020-03-20-114845.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  50.2 KBName:  2020-03-20-114942 (1).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  39.4 KB
    Last edited by littlejerry; 06-03-2023 at 12:34 PM.

User Tag List