Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Which JM Custom for AIWB?

Site Supporter
    AIWB is flat out more complicated than strong side is. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just a different ball game and I think that’s the cause of the issues you’re running into. You’re taking what works well strong side (short holsters/stiff belts) and trying to translate those to AIWB.

I’ll say that the certum is not my favorite AIWB holster, and doesn’t conceal particularly well for me in that position. However, having a thin belt (tenicor zero) a g17 length holster, and an appropriately sized and shaped muzzle wedge make that holster conceal better than a g19 length holster with a stiff belt and no pad. If strong side is working well for you there’s no real reason to switch, but if you are interested in making AIWB work for you, you’ll probably need to give a longer holster and a muzzle wedge a try.

Jon Hauptman of PHLster has compared dialing AIWB carry in to fitting a prosthetic, and that’s a good comparison. If that’s not a level of trial and error that you are interested in, and you get an acceptable level of concealment from strong side, just keep carrying strong side.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    If I'm standing still then an IWB holster can conceal well.

The second I bend over, twist, pick up something, etc. it all goes to shit.

Most people prefer a thinner belt for AIWB. Thick belts(especially leather with a traditional buckle) create a large bulge up front. I'm a fan of the Mastermind belts or Tenicor.
    ETA: pics of carrying with a thin nylon belt. I'll also add that belt mounts matter. I much prefer slim steel clips vs. PTD loops.
    I think you're spot on with the belt, I need a thinner belt with less of a buckle.
    NOT the YouTuber by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    So I received the Tenicor Certum holsters and do like them very much. Great holster.

Maybe I'm doing things wrong here, but my Glock 19 conceals MUCH better at 4:00 than 12:00 or 1:00 position. I wear fitted clothes. Nothing tight, but not baggy either. Good stiff leather belt and largest camming bar in the appendix position. With one of my regular t-shirts the printing is terrible. Even with a loose fitting shirt there is visible printing in the appendix position. The camming bar does a nice job tucking the butt of the gun into my body, but you can see this large bulge and I really don't think a wedge would help as the printing is at the belt line. G19 is a thick double stack and I am a thinner guy.

Maybe it is just me, but in the 4:00 position my G19 disappears. Wife could not even tell where I was carrying when I had it in the 4:00 position. Maybe its the natural curvature of my body, does seem to tuck into that spot nicely.

Anyone else feel IWB 4:00 conceals better than AIWB for them?

Still waiting on the "Quick Ship" JM Custom Kydex IWB 3.
    Our "Quick Ship" orders ship within a 5-10 business day window per the stated lead times in red at the top of the home page.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

4" mountain gun in a jmcustom aiwb
    Name:  IMG_20230530_155954.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  55.0 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    AIWB is flat out more complicated than strong side is. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just a different ball game and I think that’s the cause of the issues you’re running into. You’re taking what works well strong side (short holsters/stiff belts) and trying to translate those to AIWB.

I’ll say that the certum is not my favorite AIWB holster, and doesn’t conceal particularly well for me in that position. However, having a thin belt (tenicor zero) a g17 length holster, and an appropriately sized and shaped muzzle wedge make that holster conceal better than a g19 length holster with a stiff belt and no pad. If strong side is working well for you there’s no real reason to switch, but if you are interested in making AIWB work for you, you’ll probably need to give a longer holster and a muzzle wedge a try.

Jon Hauptman of PHLster has compared dialing AIWB carry in to fitting a prosthetic, and that’s a good comparison. If that’s not a level of trial and error that you are interested in, and you get an acceptable level of concealment from strong side, just keep carrying strong side.
    JMCK wing claw 2.5 is my go to holster. I pair it with a Volund Gear works Atlas G hook belt. With that set up I can carry a government model, all steel 1911 under a tee shirt with minimal printing. And do it relatively comfortably. I'm 5'9" and about 180lbs.

Claw combined with a wedge and the right tension on a thinner belt works really well for me. I don't wear the gun at 12:00, closer to 2:00 in the pocket/dip at the front of the hip. Fiddling with the belt tension on the belt can make a huge difference in comfort and printing.

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Which clips does everyone recommend?

I’m currently using something akin to a JMCK quick clip. Open to ideas I don’t know about on that.

How about the guard height? Present holster has none. Am I missing out on something?

Thanks
    I got the mid guard on my JMCK AIWB 2.0 (G17-length holster for G19).
    I ended up cutting off the guard.

In classes, whenever I'd slightly bend my torso w/ gun unholstered, I'd seppuku myself.
    The guard, in my opinion, serves NO purpose in terms of comfort, cleanliness, concealment, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoJM View Post
    I got the mid guard on my JMCK AIWB 2.0 (G17-length holster for G19).
    I ended up cutting off the guard.

In classes, whenever I'd slightly bend my torso w/ gun unholstered, I'd seppuku myself.
    The guard, in my opinion, serves NO purpose in terms of comfort, cleanliness, concealment, etc.
    I find the guards help in safely reholstering if you have a gut, if you don’t suffer from “done lap” disease I could see it being less beneficial.

Site Supporter
    I am most recently of two minds re guards. Slight rant follows YMMV greatly. I say this all as somebody who started AIWB with a g34/35 in 2008 or 2009.

One one hand- the higher the better as it protects the garment below it. This make sense to me when I am in dress shirt and tie mode and my cover garment is a sportscoat/suit jacket. Pre COVID, this was daily except Fridays during the summer.

OTOH, I have cracked three guards in the last few years because:

1. At times, I have a bit of done lap given my weight fluctuations 199 v 204 v 209

2. I have a bad habit of after checking my weapon at the door so to speak, leaving my holster on and putting undue stress on the guard as I move about over the course of the day in a secured environment.

3. Kydex does what kydex does which is perform well right until it starts to crack.

4. As such I sent out an all call for leather options and then found something that will work in the holster box (thx DEG) all the while cycling thru a MMT, Graith and Shaggy Kydex.

If I were buying from JM today-I suspect that I am enough of a preserve the shirt guy that I would buy a full guard and just try to remember to take off the holster when empty and accept that cracking guards are simply the cost of doing business.

Again, this is a very YMMV arena and I am likely being a bit of a priss as I have an inordinate number of white and light blue dress shirts that do not shed grease/lubricant stains very well nor are particularly abrasion resistant.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 07-08-2023 at 08:54 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Thanks everyone, this is all good info. Although, I must say that AIWB seems to have gotten way too complicated. After thinking about it I'm going to stick with IWB @ 4:00. I really don't want to put a small pistol in a large holster and add wedges, pillows, claws, wings, or anything else. Seems overly complicated and all the extras add to the bulk and weight of your carry rig.

Something is telling me this AIWB craze will pass and one day we will look back and laugh at how bulky these carry rigs had gotten. Shit there's people walking around with a tiny gun in a large holster plus a backup mag, light, red dot, and now wedges, pillows, and claws. Seems a bit much if you ask me.

I'll say the the industry is brilliant though, they always think of something new to get us spending our money.
    Draw speed alone from aiwb makes it worthwhile for squared away users. Way passed the craze stage. If anything you have a greater chance of iwb 4 o clock go away long term imo (say next 20 years).

I would not carry a gun if I had to carry iwb 4 o clock
    Last edited by G19Fan; 07-10-2023 at 05:37 AM.

I know appendix carry has been around forever, however it was not very popular until relatively recently. I think it is in large part due to internet influencers pushing apendix holsters and other related product.

I've given Appendix carry a try with a cheap IWB BladeTech holster and a Glock 19. Def conceals better than 4:00, but the pistol points at my body when seated and isn't the most comfortable. I thought I'd give it another try with an AIWB specific holster from a quality manufacturer like JM Kydex. With that said, it is not worth it to me if I have to put my shield in a 4" holster and add a claw and pillow. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a small gun, doesn't it?
    What is your cold 4 o clock draw to first shot at say 5 yards (into black of a b8 on demand from concealment).I am generally around 1.33 from appendix and imo I am not particularly fast. This is the primary benefit of aiwb. Also amazing for npe.

Aiwb is great for grappling and gun control.

Definitely isn't for everyone. Some don't want point a gun a femoral or their junk. Some are too fat. Some just find it uncomfortable.
    Last edited by G19Fan; 07-10-2023 at 05:41 AM.

User Tag List