Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PS90 - one of those lust things

Question that I haven’t answered searching, at least not yet. The rail section here is removable, correct? What are you left with when you remove it?

I’m curious because I’m probably going to have substantial neck flexibility limitations following this surgery (four level cervical vertebrae fusion.) If if were to get one of these, sighting plane height might become an issue.

Name:  IMG_3345.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  33.5 KB

Edit - it looks like you have a gaping hole? I looked at @fatdog’s link again and saw the RDS adapter he used.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 05-28-2023 at 10:26 AM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I mentioned it in another thread but my only “WTF was I thinking” moment in firearm purchasing was passing up a NIN PS90 and FiveseveN combo for $1200. Would have been a pretty good fit for life today.

That was also the coolest LGS of all time, in Coeur d'Alene, and they’ve closed since; so double sad.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Question that I haven’t answered searching, at least not yet. The rail section here is removable, correct? What are you left with when you remove it?.
    Yes two screws from the top hold it in place. You end up with a big gutter, the low mounts go right in the same place.

It is quite possible that you could use a low mount and not get the cheek riser in the rear and still have plenty of height above bore to keep your head up straight.

That factory pic rail is simply too high, I cannot remember the dimensions but its something like 4" above the bore. The only time I used it was to mount an LPVO to see what I could actually do with the rifle at 100 and 200 yards. But in terms of finding a zero distance and remembering holdovers for a simple red dot, it was a no go for me.

I think you actually have to go handle one to understand the ergonomics of the thing. I have owned an AUG, a Tavor 21, and one of the Bushmaster Edenpine bullpups and none of them had ergos I found very comparable to the PS90. I believe it is just a bit different from the others in terms of how it mounts.

The more I have shot mine, the more I have come to like it and become comfortable with it, as you would expect.

I too share an irrational desire for a PS90.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Yes two screws from the top hold it in place. You end up with a big gutter, the low mounts go right in the same place.

It is quite possible that you could use a low mount and not get the cheek riser in the rear and still have plenty of height above bore to keep your head up straight.

That factory pic rail is simply too high, I cannot remember the dimensions but its something like 4" above the bore. The only time I used it was to mount an LPVO to see what I could actually do with the rifle at 100 and 200 yards. But in terms of finding a zero distance and remembering holdovers for a simple red dot, it was a no go for me.

I think you actually have to go handle one to understand the ergonomics of the thing. I have owned an AUG, a Tavor 21, and one of the Bushmaster Edenpine bullpups and none of them had ergos I found very comparable to the PS90. I believe it is just a bit different from the others in terms of how it mounts.

The more I have shot mine, the more I have come to like it and become comfortable with it, as you would expect.
    I’m guessing the original optic these had is a dead issue at this point? I’m not seeing them anywhere.
    Ken

Man, I’m finding there is a whole ecosystem out there for these things. Example - an ACRO mount: https://dmachineri.com/products/ps90...-aimpoint-acro

My first thought is that an ACRO or MPS would be ideal for a 1x RDS on one of these.
    Ken

Man, even with the 16” barrel that looks like a very handy long gun. Rail also looks functional while mitigating that long barrel awkward look non-SBR subguns are plagued by. I think the extra velocity for a velocity-dependent round also makes a ton of sense.

I remember an InRange video where Karl mentioned that an older woman of very small stature was a regular at their two gun matches and used a PS90 instead of an AR because it was just that much easier for her frame to manage. It seems like a very reasonable AR-lite option for those who have one physical limitation or another.

I love researching new things.

It looks like the CMMG barrel is the way to go when SBRing these. The muzzle end is confusing me a little, though - I think it’s threaded M12x1 LH and you can put on a P90 style compensator or a 1/2x28 adapter, both which are made by CMMG. Dead Air also makes a M12x1 LH adapter so you can use a Mask can. It looks like some people stick an A2 type compensator on the thread adapter or just a thread protector when they aren’t running suppressed.

Also, HB Industries is offering a new range of optic adapters in addition to the ones fatdog and I linked above. This might be a great application for a PA SLx prism.

I’m a little worried I’ve moved to the problem solving stage of research. This may not bode well.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’m guessing the original optic these had is a dead issue at this point? I’m not seeing them anywhere.
    Yes the "secret service" optic has been out of production for years, they turn up at scalper/collector prices from time to time. I have shot one, I did not like it at all, almost no field of view in the thing and not as distinct as other red dots. My rifle as pictured has an Aimpoint Patrol version and I am pretty happy with that choice, there is also a good low mount available for the Aimpoint 30mm optics.

One thing most people don't know about the base factory rifle, it is not a threaded barrel, the flash hider ports are in the external barrel sleeve around the actual factory barrel, so changing muzzle attachments requires a threaded barrel and losing the barrel sleeve, but you have to have a long enough muzzle device to get you back to 26+ inches if you are not SBR's the thing. The barrel sleeve extends a couple of inches beyond the actuall muzzle and in addition to providing the flash hiding ports, gets the thing past the 26" legal requirement.

The barrel in this thing actually recoils a tiny bit when it cycles and moves rearward inside that barrel sleeve, so the sleeve is not a really tight fit which freaks some people out and cause some "my barrel is loose" reactions... but it is a solid system that works quite well.

User Tag List