Thread: Recommended Corrected Eye Protection

Recommended Corrected Eye Protection

I searched and didn't see anything at all recent, so I figured I'd throw this out there.

I am near-sighted and wear corrected lenses whenever I'm not asleep (eta - or in the shower, or certain other things, in case anyone had a pedantic quip ready). For shooting, I'd been using a very old pair of corrected safety glasses (plastic lenses and frames of some description, very much just generic clear eye pro with Rx) that finally bit the dust due to broken nose pieces and lenses that wouldn't clean up anymore. My Rx changes extremely slowly and minimally so I can use a pair of eyewear until the end of its service life - I replace my daily glasses when the frames are quitting or I just want something new, not when my Rx requires it.

I still have an old pair of Pillas for shooting shotgun (though I'm down to one set of red lenses due to crackling finish on the grey set) that are getting me by for now, but they're not ideal and honestly not as comfortable as something lighter. What I would like to find is some wraparound eye pro that's affordable enough (say sub $100) that I could buy a clear set and a tinted set of the same thing and drive on.

Obviously there's tons of options out there but I have no idea whether brand X is better than brand Y, etc. Some suggested brands/dealers would be much appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I've been through a bunch of different options over the years and settled on Oakleys. For me, they're the best combination of looks, protection and prescription service. I get them through the optometrist at my eye doctor. I wear protective eyewear all the time when I'm not actually inside.

Is your prescription bad enough to where contacts aren't an option?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Is your prescription bad enough to where contacts aren't an option?
    It’s not a terrible prescription but I don’t wear contacts. Not interested in the hassle, rather like how glasses work with my bald head, and haven’t confirmed but suspect odd eye shape may cause problems with soft contacts (that problem runs in the family).

It would absolutely make this part of my life (buying eye protection and sunglasses) simpler but it’s not a step I’m taking at this point.

I have pretty bad vision (-5.25, -5.50) so curved prescription lenses don't work for me without significant distortion. Neither do the inserts that the Army uses in their APEL certified eye protection.

Rudy Project flip ups (previously RB3s now discontinued and replaced with the Exception line) have been my go to unless I wear contacts.

User Tag List