Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder sticking in powder measure

Powder sticking in powder measure

Greetings all!

After some work and family issues got in the way, I've finally got everything up and running, and I'm trying to dial in a load. However, the powder (Winchester 231) sticks to everything. I'm worried its going to cause problems.

I cleaned everything according to Hornady's instructions, and I've tried rubbing the hopper, baffle, and funnel with dryer sheets, and that did nothing to help.

I've seen stuff on other forums about cycling graphite powder through the system to eliminate the problem. Any thoughts on that, or any other ideas to help with this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you having variable charges thrown when you weigh them?

I ask because I predominately used W231 for 45 acp in my old Dillon 550 back in the 1990's. I loaded many thousands of rounds, 10's of thousands actually, and always got a consistent powder drop. Having a touch of OCD I measured/weighed around every 20th charge. (I blew up a G21 with a double charge...totally my fault). So I check weight frequently even to this day.

I no longer have any 45's but load a lot of 9mm, .38 spl,.357 mid range, .32 S&W long, and .380 using W231. (I'm predominately using Unique in 9mm nowadays).

I use an old Lyman powder measure and a single stage Lee for everything but the 9mm. No drop issues with the Lyman either.

I know what you mean by the, I assume, static cling, but it has never affected my powder drop or charge weight with either powder measures.

I do get a little cling in the scale pan for my RCBS beam scale...but it taps out readily into my brass.

I've read of the dryer sheet hack but haven't heard of the graphite use.

Best of luck and I hope all works out to your satisfaction. I also look forward to reading what others have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Greetings all!

After some work and family issues got in the way, I've finally got everything up and running, and I'm trying to dial in a load. However, the powder (Winchester 231) sticks to everything. I'm worried its going to cause problems.

I cleaned everything according to Hornady's instructions, and I've tried rubbing the hopper, baffle, and funnel with dryer sheets, and that did nothing to help.

I've seen stuff on other forums about cycling graphite powder through the system to eliminate the problem. Any thoughts on that, or any other ideas to help with this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Is the powder sticking to the walls of the plastic tube, or is it hanging up in the drum while you're cycling the measure?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Is the powder sticking to the walls of the plastic tube, or is it hanging up in the drum while you're cycling the measure?
    I didn't disassemble the whole thing, but its sticking to the tube, baffle, and metal funnel that feeds into the rotor, so I assume its sticking to everything it touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Are you having variable charges thrown when you weigh them?
    I haven't noticed any, but so far I've only loaded 10-12 rounds, at each of the following weights; 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 grains.

I don't have trouble with my Dillon powder measures but when using my manual thrower, I sometimes have issues with static on the scale cup and on plastic funnels. I wash them with Dawn hand soap and hand dry them to leave a micro trace of soap film. This eliminates static issues for months at a time.

It looks like the Hornady Lock-N-Load has stainless rotors and inserts. Maybe you can take them out and give em a little wash and dry.

Gringop

PS, Maybe a ground wire on the powder measure base?

Name:  young-frankenstein.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  15.0 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I haven't noticed any, but so far I've only loaded 10-12 rounds, at each of the following weights; 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.0, 4.1, and 4.2 grains.
    If it's dropping correct charges, don't worry about it. I've had static in my RCBS Uniflow, Dillons, and Chargemaster and I've never done anything other than brush them out after use. A long art paintbrush, preferably with stiff bristles, works well. If it were powder bridging with extruded, that's a problem, but a few (or many) individual grains stuck to the sides is no big deal.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I cleaned everything according to Hornady's instructions
    Dunno what they advise, but I know the 2-3 I bought new sure had a lotta preservative greasy stuff on them. Hoppes and Gun Scrubber is what I can remember (it has been a while...) using.

Site Supporter
    Connecting a wire to the measure and grounding the wire will dissipate static charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Dunno what they advise, but I know the 2-3 I bought new sure had a lotta preservative greasy stuff on them. Hoppes and Gun Scrubber is what I can remember (it has been a while...) using.
    Hornady recommends disassembling, then hosing everything down with this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014743671?pid=170954 , then wiping it off with a clean cloth.

I used half a can of that stuff on the powder drop parts, and wiped it all.down with microfiber towels.

User Tag List