Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are people switching to Windows 11?

My wife's new (2021) HP laptop notified me last time I booted it up that Windows 11 was available...so this is a timely thread for me.

I don't use this box except for Tax season for my H&R Block software app we buy every year for our taxes. My wife uses it for travel and general computer use. It's a nice box. But, here's the thing, when I turned it on, it started downloading the upgrade and wasn't usable for about 2 days, while it did it's thing. I didn't ask for it, it just happened. I mean I get PCs needing updates, fine, but my gripe with Windows is they stuff it down your throat, whether you want it or not. At least it's done now, and I can enable it if she wants it to move from 10 to 11. I really don't care. I suppose I'll worry about it next spring when I do the taxes again.

Me, I moved to Linux Mint 19 about 5 years ago, on an older Acer box. I then picked up a retired luggable Dell when I retired for good in 2020, put Mint on that too. The power supply on that got smoked, so I happened on a couple older Gateway SX2865 deskside boxes for cheap ($0) at a yard sale the owner no longer wanted. These are quite a few years old (10?) but came with 4G RAM and a 500 G drive, so I thought why not see if I could use them. No WiFi card but they both have an ethernet jack. I am for sure no computer genius, but it took maybe 30 minutes to source the current Mint distro (21) and install them both (one I use as a primary and one sits, as a backup.)

Mint 21 comes with FF as well as the full Libre office suite. I use it for everything these days. Despite being older CPUs, they run fine using Linux since it doesn't have all the bloat the Windoze is laden with. I have a couple WiFi satellite units for my main router, so I just plug them into the ethernet jack that Cisco conveniently puts on the back. I love this distro.

This guy is a little geeky but gives a good overview of Mint 21.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-30-2023 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Fuck Windows 11
    hell, fuck windows 10
    i'm still on 7, and would be pleased to remain so.
    the thing that pisses me off the most about 10/11 is the automatic updating NO MATTER what you do to stop it!
    it's like they programmed back doors into the software to allow mickeysoft to force updates.
    LEAVE MY SHIT ALONE!

Windows 7 Extended Security Updates (ESU) include security updates for critical and important issues as defined by Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) for a maximum of three years after January 14, 2020. After January 14, 2020, if your PC is running Windows 7, and you haven't purchased Extended Security Updates, the computer will no longer receive security updates.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...ty-updates-faq

And the above may not apply to this machine you're talking about anyway. For most, it ended January 14, 2020.

Most crappy things about Windows 10 aren't there in Windows 10 LTSC, hence my recommendation in a prior post.

While I understand, using an OS that no longer receives security updates is generally not a good practice, especially if it's networked or internet facing.

If you have the spare resources, Windows is great as a virtual machine. If it gets broken simply roll it back to a prior snapshot.

Windows belongs as a virtual machine. It should be sitting at the little kid's dinner table anyway.
    Last edited by SLUZENE; 06-01-2023 at 03:07 PM.

User Tag List