Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are people switching to Windows 11?

Bought a new Asus laptop with Win 11 preinstalled. Runs good. As far as the OS, it's different, not better.

The old craptop is running Win 10 and will continue to do so until it stops running, even if that means turning off the wifi connection.

Unless you have proprietary apps you absolutely need and can only use on Windows, Linux Mint is the easy escape hatch. You can even install desktop themes to make it look ~80% like Windows.
    You can burn it to a USB and even try it out before installing, albeit a slightly slower and more limited version of what actually gets installed.
    I'd strongly recommend at least trying it on USB without the install, since it won't actually change anything on your system and will at least give you something different to try out briefly.

Windows, with each new version, just becomes worse and worse malware/spyware. It's like slow-boiling a frog, and most don't realize the level of stuff going on in the background.
    Draining resources like a hog, data logging basically everything you're doing. Computing just doesn't have to be this painful or privacy invasive but, to each their own.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Unless you have proprietary apps you absolutely need and can only use on Windows, Linux Mint is the easy escape hatch. You can even install desktop themes to make it look ~80% like Windows.
    You can burn it to a USB and even try it out before installing, albeit a slightly slower and more limited version of what actually gets installed.
    I'd strongly recommend at least trying it on USB without the install, since it won't actually change anything on your system and will at least give you something different to try out briefly.

Windows, with each new version, just becomes worse and worse malware/spyware. It's like slow-boiling a frog, and most don't realize the level of stuff going on in the background.
    Draining resources like a hog, data logging basically everything you're doing. Computing just doesn't have to be this painful or privacy invasive but, to each their own.
    The privacy issue is critical for my profession. Do you know if QuickBooks, SolidWorks eDrawing viewer and other
    Windows programs will work on Linux Mint?

Does Microsoft Exchange email raise the same privacy issues?

Thanks!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I upgraded a Surface Laptop to Windows 11 early last year and it worked about as well as I would expect Windows to work. Granted, that's Microsoft's OS on Microsoft's hardware, which is probably the best case scenario.

Agree with the folks recommending a switch to Linux. I have Windows running in a VM for the times when Office is a must, but I'm happy to be rid of it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The privacy issue is critical for my profession.
    Windows has a metric ton of telemetry running in the background, which is definitely problematic for people that value privacy. Calling it "spyware" is a little hyperbolic, however. Microsoft is primarily focused on spotting problems in its technical ecosystem rather than monetize what it knows about its users... for now.
    Last edited by Chance; 05-27-2023 at 05:14 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

No issues here with W11.

I prefer using my Mac, however.

I have a laptop that came with W10. I only use it for digital picture processing, with two programs from Skylum. Deleted all the rest of the crap that was on the laptop. Both ran fine with 10, but now have glitches with 11.
    Another thing about 11, it wants to open all the microsoft program crap, constantly. Every time either of the programs go live to the Skylum site, it opens microsoft and asks if I want to change my browser setting, to default to Bing. NO!!! [I use Duck Duckwithout issues in 10]

I'm going to look into the Linux mint for sure.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Fuck Windows 11
    hell, fuck windows 10
    i'm still on 7, and would be pleased to remain so.
    the thing that pisses me off the most about 10/11 is the automatic updating NO MATTER what you do to stop it!
    it's like they programmed back doors into the software to allow mickeysoft to force updates.
    LEAVE MY SHIT ALONE!
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Fuck Windows 11
    hell, fuck windows 10
    the thing that pisses me off the most about 10/11 is the automatic updating NO MATTER what you do to stop it!
    it's like they programmed back doors into the software to allow mickeysoft to force updates.
    LEAVE MY SHIT ALONE!
    It's funny. I was in the IT industry back in the 90s (still am, just doesn't involve end-user devices) and the big complaint about Windows was infrequent updates (mainly via Service Packs) and that users could ignore them. Now we have frequent updates that are automatically applied and people complain.

BTW, Linux can be configured to do the same auto-updating (and boy do some distros update a lot of stuff frequently). Judging by my wife's iPhone, Apple products too.

As for my own use of Win11, my two personal computers run Linux (desktop) or Chrome (laptop). Technically I have a Win10 laptop, but it's only there for running certain amateur radio related apps. It's those apps that may drive me back to Windows on my desktop (or its replacement most likely). There are just some apps that don't have a Linux version, or run in WINE, or even run particularly well in a VM. That's why I have to keep an old refurbed laptop around just for those handfuls of apps.

Wife and kids mostly use Win10, though Thing1's laptop did update to Win11. Seems ok, typical Windows shite.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Fuck Windows 11
    hell, fuck windows 10
    LEAVE MY SHIT ALONE!
    Lol. Last yti was forced to buy a new work PC. The previous one finally started giving enough problems that it wasn't worth putting up with. That computer was from about 2006!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Lol. Last yti was forced to buy a new work PC. The previous one finally started giving enough problems that it wasn't worth putting up with. That computer was from about 2006!

* year i

Seems like the edit button is gone

User Tag List