Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are people switching to Windows 11?

Are people switching to Windows 11?

My computer keeps bugging me to "upgrade" to Windows 11, and I keep pressing the "no" button. When Win 11 was rolled it, my perception was that it had... issues. Has that situation changed?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    My computer keeps bugging me to "upgrade" to Windows 11, and I keep pressing the "no" button. When Win 11 was rolled it, my perception was that it had... issues. Has that situation changed?
    I run Mint Linux on my personal laptop but my company issued Win10 machine keeps bugging me. I'm due for a new laptop soon so I'll probably wait until that happens.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've switched and I've had no issues.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

No real annoyances technically speaking. But the UI keeps getting worse. For example, running programs on the taskbar now minimize to small square icons, with no words. Windows 10 would also do this, but it would give you the option to change it back to how earlier versions of Windows would minimize programs, with words (e.g. the filename of the file currently opened in the program, or the first few words of the web page title.) But Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that you now shouldn't even have that option. Want to tell which of five different open spreadsheets is the window that you're looking for? Well now you can't tell by looking at the taskbar. You get to click on each one!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
    or download a third-party program which returns the old style of taskbar minimization. But the fact that MS doesn't even give you the option now irks me. I can fix it on my home Windows 11 PC, but I know I'm going to get PO'ed again when work goes from Windows 10 to 11 and I can't apply that fix.

Site Supporter
    I made the mistake of being one of the early adopters of Windows 10. Within a couple of months of installing it, my computer was not playing nice with my HP multi-function machines. The problem persisted for well over a year before the Windows 10 bugs got worked out.

NEVER switch to a new version of Windows until at least a year or more has passed. I am still using Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've switched and I've had no issues.
    My experience also. I got tired of the popups and I figured that Win11 has been out long enough when I finally relented. Always minor annoyances getting used to new s/w (old dog = reluctant to learn new tricks), but nothing significant.

-Rainman

After moving to 11, I couldn't figure out how to prevent teams from automatically opening. Wasn't thrilled with what seemed like increasing dependence on the MS sphere of influence. Then, and probably unrelatedly, my xps 13's fan lost it's mind reducing battery life to 2 hoursish.

Really enjoying my new macBook Air. Ubuntu on another cheapo asus.

Ensure your kids are learning unix/linux. It gives them choices.

I switched and am not impressed. For whatever reason on Win 10 I could never get the monitor to go to sleep so I just turned it off each time I left the desktop. Turned it back on when I came back. So I go to Win11 and suddenly my PC goes to sleep every couple of hours and that doesn't seem to work well w/ my turning off my monitor. To get the PC going again I hit the monitor power like I have been doing. Ooops, the PC is dead or sleeping or ??? so I hit it's power button and it fires up super quickly. Anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes later I get the blue screen and a message that Windows didn't load correctly. Well Windows, you loaded yourself, so if you effed up it's on you. But I get to go through a reboot anyway. I kind of fixed this by setting the go to sleep time to 5 hours. This helps since I am retired and I usually do something on the desktop before 5 hrs is up. I will have to look again but, at the time, I didn't see an option for NEVER go to sleep unless I turn you off.

Site Supporter
    I dumped a big glass of red wine onto my old W10 laptop and fried it, and the desktop I replaced it with came with W11. It's okay in general. The thing I really dislike about it is when you put it to sleep, waking it back up takes at least as long as rebooting it. My solution is to not put it to sleep; it eventually kinda puts itself to sleep and wakes up pretty quickly.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Have not switched, don't see a reason to. I'm not sure what it's supposed to do better

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List