Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K.L. Null SMZ

K.L. Null SMZ

Anyone ever tried one of these? https://klnullholsters.com/holsters/shoulder-holsters/

With my recent hip issues, I've found belt carry to be less and less comfortable, especially during longer drives. Thinking about trying one of these for my LCR as an option.

Thanks!

I bought one back in the '80s because (i) it was a hot summer and (ii) I liked that the plastic was impervious to sweat. The holster retained the J-frame well. The problem was the harness. It was difficult to bring to a reasonable comfort level, and when that eventually happened the plastic would slip and it didn't stay comfortable for very long.

I think I may have it in stores. If you'd like to try it before you make a final decision, please PM your address.

Duces

I actually have two of them. Back in the 90s I used one for my 640 under a suitcoat. I don’t remember issues with it, but we’re talking 25 years ago. I happened into a second one around that time. Both are in storage someplace.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have one for a 3913. It carried well but I shortened the harness too much. I I’ve thought once in a while about getting a J frame version.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I was just telling a fellow shooter about these a couple of days ago. I honestly didn't even think they were still available.

Thank you for the link.

I am too fidgety about my chest and shoulders to tolerate shoulder rigs. But truth told I've never tried one for an LCR or J Frame sized gun, just full sized autos. Conceptually they look pretty good. Old school goodness even.

I hope you get some relief from your hip problems and find something comfortable for your needs.

First thing that came to min when I saw the rig

Name:  Bullitt.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  55.9 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Null has certainly cut back on his product line.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I bought this one in the early 80's. The harness has long since disintegrated, but the holster is still perfectly functional. Plastic holsters were quite novel at the time.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    I have an SKR for a Colt Detective Special, which uses the same shoulder harness as the SMZ.

It is the fastest shoulder holster I have ever used, without exception. It is very highly concealable. It retains the gun quite securely.

Drawing the gun with the weak hand is very fast and easy, although it will result in covering your own torso. This advantage seems less likely to apply to the SMZ.

Drawing the gun is loud. A quiet, surreptitious draw is not possible. Reholstering the gun with one hand is not possible, although one-hand reholstering will be difficult at best with any shoulder holster.

I never liked the shoulder harness, although the first several times I wore it, I did not wear it correctly. Perhaps this reveals my past ignorance (I tried carrying the gun in this holster over 2 decades ago), but I clipped the free end of the strap to the rear holster attachment strap instead of to my waistband on the opposite side. Regardless of whether I wore the harness correctly or incorrectly, it was never comfortable. It put too much pressure on my shoulders and the back of my neck. It also did not stay adjusted with complete security.

Many years ago, I cut off the harness and attached the holster to a Kramer figure 8 harness. It was much more comfortable, but pulled the end of the grip farther back than desired. It was still reasonably workable.

I eventually settled on a Galco Miami Classic as my preferred shoulder holster.

Edited to add: The SKR is the one 41magfan posted above. To draw the gun, it is pulled through the snap which is located by the top strap of the revolver.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Null has certainly cut back on his product line.
    Understandable but disappointing. More recently, I ordered his ankle sheath for a Gerber Guardian. It is really comfortable and concealable. Both times I ordered from him, he was very pleasant to deal with.

User Tag List