Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K.L. Null SMZ

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I bought this one in the early 80's. The harness has long since disintegrated, but the holster is still perfectly functional. Plastic holsters were quite novel at the time.

I traded a Mad Dog Taylor Thunderbolt (GL 30) to Paul Gomez for one of these some years back.

This is a timely post.

I have been considering this holster in black, over a black t-shirt under a tucked-in snap front shirt. I was originally thinking for my 37, but I'm keeping that as a pocket gun, so I'm now looking for my SP101.

My understanding is that the SMZ was designed to be worn under a dress shirt. With that in mind, I'm unsure how the offside attachment works with everything tucked in. I was planning on trying to discuss it with Mr. Null.

@Mas discusses the SMZ here at about 12:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9tNKG2AY0

For the OP, in the past, I had really good luck with an Andrews Solo rig for a Kahr.

http://andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    This is a timely post.

I have been considering this holster in black, over a black t-shirt under a tucked-in snap front shirt. I was originally thinking for my 37, but I'm keeping that as a pocket gun, so I'm now looking for my SP101.

My understanding is that the SMZ was designed to be worn under a dress shirt. With that in mind, I'm unsure how the offside attachment works with everything tucked in. I was planning on trying to discuss it with Mr. Null.

@Mas discusses the SMZ here at about 12:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD9tNKG2AY0

For the OP, in the past, I had really good luck with an Andrews Solo rig for a Kahr.

http://andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm
    I ordered my SKR in the mid 1990’s. At that time, black was listed in the catalog but had been discontinued.

Darryl Bolke is a fan.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I am in large agreement with the comments made previously.
    I have used two SMZes, mostly as movie theatre rigs or when I was dating as younger man (variation on Popeye Doyle, I guess).

A couple additional or similar observations:

1) The harness has been the biggest downside. Never could get it comfortable, but not for lack of trying.

2) When running or similar fast bounding pace, the gun will bounce somewhat. That pendulum action eventually concerned me enough that I stopped carrying the Kahr PM9 in a SMZ. I felt the trigger weight, relatively low weight of the gun and other variables conspired to exceed my risk tolerance. It did conceal well, save the slight tell tale of the upper back strap.

3) After stopping with the PM9, I did buy a SMZ for J Frame. Still felt there was some risk, but lessened with the much heavier trigger pull. Still some bounce when moving briskly, but balance and resulting stability with an Airweight revolver seems better. YMMMV.

FWIW, I ended up a K Frame OWB belt scabbard in horsehide from Ken’s shop. Model RSS I believe. It rides perfectly for me and the closest I have come to OWB that actually conceals under a T Shirt. The man is a master.

Site Supporter
    At one point Ken made a different shoulder holster for semiautos which did not rely on anything in the trigger guard. Drawing required rotating the grip outward. That holster and the SKR are both better designs than the SMZ in my opinion.

There was one called the City Slicker. Don’t see it listed now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    There was one called the City Slicker. Don’t see it listed now.
    That is the SKR pictured upthread.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This is a timely post.

I just realized that I forgot to update this post.

I emailed Mr. Null. He replied promptly, and after a few emails back and forth, he had one out to me very quickly. The holster is black and rigid, and the harness is clear plastic. The offside has a few "teeth" that will fully penetrate the waistband on your under-oos, and lock in place. The harness is plenty adjustable, but has almost no "give" to it. I have tried it on and worn it around the house to get used to it, but haven't worn it "out-and-about" yet. I suspect the chunky SP101 might be a tad heavy to be truly comfortable, but time will tell. It would probably be better with something like an LCR or a K6xs.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I just realized that I forgot to update this post.

I emailed Mr. Null. He replied promptly, and after a few emails back and forth, he had one out to me very quickly. The holster is black and rigid, and the harness is clear plastic. The offside has a few "teeth" that will fully penetrate the waistband on your under-oos, and lock in place. The harness is plenty adjustable, but has almost no "give" to it. I have tried it on and worn it around the house to get used to it, but haven't worn it "out-and-about" yet. I suspect the chunky SP101 might be a tad heavy to be truly comfortable, but time will tell. It would probably be better with something like an LCR or a K6xs.
    Chuck did you have him make it for the SP101 or is it a bit more generic? I.e., can I order one for a D-Frame and use a J/LCR/K6/856/etc in it?

User Tag List