Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Why is the EOTech so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Kevin B: Have you tried the RMR on a carbine? Last time Pat McNamara was out here, he was using one on his AR15. When I asked him about it, he stated the dot was much crisper and perfectly round compared to other alternatives and the sight was lightweight and trim. You can see him running one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69N5gsxvpM.
    Doc, I have not, though I have considered it. I would like to give one a try before buying one. So far, I have not had the opportunity.
    C Class shooter.

Has anyone drilled one of the 1.5x ACOGs TA44 at close range? My old vision appreciates the clarity afforded by magnified optics however slight.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, except for the loose battery terminals..........all other noted issues apply.
    Damn that's disappointing... I have a T1 now, and it's some kind of smeared out star formation. I really don't like the dot (not even close) shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    The battery in my R-1 went out in less than a year. I left it on at about 5 clicks of intensity so not too much. The battery was new from the package and the R-1 was brand new.

I don't think it's that big a deal; it certainly does not make me want to dump the Aimpoint. I have a spare battery on the gun, and make it a point to either dryfire, shoot, or handle the AR at least once a week. That way i can keep pretty good track if the Aimpoint is draining the battery too fast. But it does go to show that everything can fail, even something that sales people swear won't fail.
    The R-1 is not the M4
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I'm pretty surprised to see the number of guys here who have issues seeing the Aimpoint dot. My eyes aren't terrible, but I do have a slight astigmatism and need prescription glasses for driving, shooting, and reading things far away (road signs, white boards, etc.), and I can't see the EOTech reticle to save my life without glasses. It's literally just a giant red blob. My T1, on the other hand, while not perfect without glasses, is still plenty useable.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

In grossly general terms, a laser projection is going to be a crisper one, simply due to the nature of what makes a laser a laser, vs. a light emitting doide projection. Bearing that in mind, and bearing in mind the variances in types of eyesight impairment (diagnosed or otherwise), eye damage, floaters, hours of TV/computer screen staring, how much Vitamin A the body's getting, and all sorts of intangibles, it becomes less surprising just how many users see some shape other than a dot. It's important to remember that the middle of the bell-curve of the user population has no issue with an oddly-shaped dot, whatsoever, and are far more numerous than those who do.

I've seen the problem diminish or disappear in a given shooter by simply reminding them to stop focusing on the dot, and focus on the target...

....or dial the intensity down a notch or two (boilerplate for any RDS...)...

...or using the dot through the aperture of a rear BUIS (incereses the length/depth of the eye's focal plane; works better with an absolute co-witness setup).

Forgetting about zeroing to the "middle" of an odd shape, and keeping as specifically to a particular part of the dot can also make the overall shape less of an impact...that whole software > hardware thing. Side Note: Even with a perfect dot, zeroing to 12 oclock of the dot can be a worthwhile practice, as it alleviates the "dot covers the target" aspect that some worry over (mostly in terms of dot sizes, not clarity).

Not bagging on anybody that has a problem with odd shapes or fuzziness; I can't stand the pixellated nature of the EO reticle's 65MOA circle (though I like the reticle as a whole), so I can surely identify with the feeling. I just had to remind myself, over time, to ignore the circle until I needed it for range estimation. Otherwise, a dot's a dot, and short of the zeroing process, it's not in keeping with the intent of the device to worry overmuch about how super-duper crisp or perfectly shaped a dot is, since it's NOT a precision optic. Regardless of brand, they're mostly-parallax-free POINT optics.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    In grossly general terms, a laser projection is going to be a crisper one, simply due to the nature of what makes a laser a laser, vs. a light emitting doide projection. Bearing that in mind, and bearing in mind the variances in types of eyesight impairment (diagnosed or otherwise), eye damage, floaters, hours of TV/computer screen staring, how much Vitamin A the body's getting, and all sorts of intangibles, it becomes less surprising just how many users see some shape other than a dot. It's important to remember that the middle of the bell-curve of the user population has no issue with an oddly-shaped dot, whatsoever, and are far more numerous than those who do.

I've seen the problem diminish or disappear in a given shooter by simply reminding them to stop focusing on the dot, and focus on the target...

....or dial the intensity down a notch or two (boilerplate for any RDS...)...

...or using the dot through the aperture of a rear BUIS (incereses the length/depth of the eye's focal plane; works better with an absolute co-witness setup).

Forgetting about zeroing to the "middle" of an odd shape, and keeping as specifically to a particular part of the dot can also make the overall shape less of an impact...that whole software > hardware thing. Side Note: Even with a perfect dot, zeroing to 12 oclock of the dot can be a worthwhile practice, as it alleviates the "dot covers the target" aspect that some worry over (mostly in terms of dot sizes, not clarity).

Not bagging on anybody that has a problem with odd shapes or fuzziness; I can't stand the pixellated nature of the EO reticle's 65MOA circle (though I like the reticle as a whole), so I can surely identify with the feeling. I just had to remind myself, over time, to ignore the circle until I needed it for range estimation. Otherwise, a dot's a dot, and short of the zeroing process, it's not in keeping with the intent of the device to worry overmuch about how super-duper crisp or perfectly shaped a dot is, since it's NOT a precision optic. Regardless of brand, they're mostly-parallax-free POINT optics.
    VERY interesting post. So THAT's what that is. I could not hardly believe my eyes when I've seen that. Pretty slow way to shoot though. Eot dot good, T-1 dots (two I've tried) horrible. T-1 through an aperture, pretty good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    This is huge, and is right up there with "my front sight post is in the way". Stop looking at the dot/FSP and focus on the target like you're supposed to, and many of these things go away. When I got my first Eotech and turned it on in the house I thought "my god! how does anyone work with all these dots and flare?!" Then I went to the range and never gave it a second thought. That Eotech, with a diamond reticule, is on my 9mm suppressed AR today and I still use it in steel matches.

That said, even when doing it this way, I see a 4 MOA Aimpoint dot as a slight figure 8. However, as long as it's repeatable and consistent, I can pick a point on the 8 and use that for precision/distance shooting.

It's the hip thing to make fun of those that sell or trade 4 MOA H/T-1s for the newer 2 MOA version, but if you have fuzzy-dot issues and can't work around it or find the fuzz to be inconsistent, making the change the the 50% smaller dot can be huge. Even using my tip-of-8 method I can still get better hits at distance and shoot tighter groups with a 2 MOA dot than a 4. and I get the 8 even with glasses corrected for my astigmatism, and after taking my Aimpoint with me to the eye dr. and having her work with me to get my prescription to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The R-1 is not the M4
    I'm well aware of that. It is, however, a standard micro Aimpoint and it is a data point on battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I'm well aware of that. It is, however, a standard micro Aimpoint and it is a data point on battery life.
    As we have often said, we have no control on the batteries and the storage on them prior to going into the sight. I have seen cases where folks got crap battery life out of the first battery on an Aimpoint that came with the sight and then after a new fresh battery, that is the end of the issue. I wouldn't base a total opinion on one battery. Also, if the R1 was purchased at a very deep discounted, that sight may have been around awhile along with its battery.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List