Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the EOTech so popular?

Why is the EOTech so popular?

Why is the EoTech so popular in the SOF community? Every picture or B-roll video footage I see of high speed door kickers, I notice about 90% of them are using EoTechs, and very rarely do I see T1's. What gives?

Good question.

Short answer............it is what is issued.

You LE guys know that the only thing cheaper than a cop, is two cops. The same could be applied to the SOF community. Unless dude is a "gun guy", "gun nut", "gun dork", etc., he is more likely to take what he is given without thought to what else might be out there, or out there that is better. Given the cost of a T-1, plus mount, you are looking at a pretty substantial investment.

Reason two..... 1 MOA Dot + 65 MOA ring. The reticle is intuitive, and easy to use. It is also easy to teach CQB holds, as there is no guess work, just put the top hash mark on your desired point of impact. And the 1 MOA Dot makes longer range shooting more precise than say a 4 MOA Aimpoint.

Reason three...... Battery life. They don't care. Batteries are free where they get them, so who cares if they have to replace them every night? They replace every battery, in every device, every night as an SOP, so it is no big deal to replace the battery in their optic.

Reason four....... It is what is issued. If it goes TU, they just grab another one. Many have second and thirds. The smart ones zero them all, and throw the spares in the go bag.

Reason five....... SOF has a messed up method of acquisition. SOCOM has become the very red tape organization it was designed to avoid. Once an item is in the inventory, it literally takes an act of Congress to change it. It also comes to down to cost. If they can buy 2 EOTech's for the price of one T-1, or 4 MRDS of another brand for the price of a single T-1, they are going for quantity. That frees up monies for other, higher ticket items like the RULR, which costs $16k a pop. Night vision devices at $9k-$50k a pop.

Some organizations have bought T-1's, and they are out there. Many individuals have bought T-1's. But not in the numbers of the EO's. Great marketing for EO, and I would guess they have sold 3 times, or more, the amount of optics to civilian/LE shooters, simply because they got the nod from SOCOM. Usually, once educated trainers get a chance to show a side by side comparison to the shooters, the opinion and reasons to hang onto the EOTech go away, but the optics themselves don't.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post

Reason two..... 1 MOA Dot + 65 MOA ring. The reticle is intuitive, and easy to use. It is also easy to teach CQB holds, as there is no guess work, just put the top hash mark on your desired point of impact. And the 1 MOA Dot makes longer range shooting more precise than say a 4 MOA Aimpoint.
    I guess this is a typo, the bottom hash mark, no?

I have 1:3 ratio of Eo:AP, and I thoroughly hate the fact how much more I like Eo's reticle. I wish Eo and AP had sex and produced an offspring of M4s with an Eotech reticle.

No mention of the reflex vs a red dot differences?

With all the drinking from a fire hose of training info I didn't get around to asking Frank Proctor why he was using an EOTech but another Army SF shooting friend (with multiple tours etc) was totally in love with his. He said his was beat to hell and had some electronic glitch so it ate batteries - he changed them daily as Sean noted is SOP - but he also loved its performance. Fast and the 1 minute dot as Sean mentioned.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

As I recall, John Holschen also spoke well of the EoTechs he used as a contractor in Iraq during one of the classes I had with him. I believe he said their SOP was to change the batteries once a month. Kyle Lamb also seems to like them. Not saying these are definitive opinions but both of those individuals are *definitely* gun guys.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I guess this is a typo, the bottom hash mark, no?
    Sorry, should have been more information there.............top hash mark and your bullet will strike your desired point of impact.

Why do various other people like EOTech? I don't know. I haven't asked them. My comments were directly related to the question posed at the top of the thread. Personally, I wouldn't take an EOTech for free. Unless I was selling it to someone I didn't like.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

You left out that they come in "tan". That is not a joke. I wish it was, but it isn't.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    You left out that they come in "tan". That is not a joke. I wish it was, but it isn't.
    Oh god, yes, this happened to me before.

"Man that's light and a way smaller profile than my Eotech. Does it come in FDE?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Sorry, should have been more information there.............top hash mark and your bullet will strike your desired point of impact.
    Sean, explain this to me, I am not familiar with it. The way I learned it, you zero the dot at 100-300, whatever your zero is, and for CQB you need to aim the dot 2 inches higher to adjust for offset. With Eo lifting the dot up makes bottom hash mark a convenient aiming reference. What am I getting wrong?

User Tag List