Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: fabrique nationale 98 Mauser sporter 30-06?

RFI: fabrique nationale 98 Mauser sporter 30-06?

I saw one of these for sale the other day, and can’t get it out of my mind. Beautiful gun, with the peep rear sight for the irons-only set up. Any thoughts or comments on these rifles would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, gang.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I'd have a hard time passing one up, provided the bore looked good.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd have a hard time passing one up, provided the bore looked good.
    If the price and the bore are right, I'd buy it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I saw one of these for sale the other day, and can’t get it out of my mind. Beautiful gun, with the peep rear sight for the irons-only set up. Any thoughts or comments on these rifles would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, gang.
    There are benighted souls who may never run across something like that at the right time. It is in THE all-American (for better or worse) cartridge, which is easily had and eminently useful for all sorts of things; it already has aperture irons, which any classic sporting bolt rifle ought to have; it was made by a concern who knows a thing or two about producing good firearms, and it is a variant of arguably the most trouble-free, rugged yet elegant repeating rifle man has yet devised.

"Not much to not like" in all that. There was a time still within living memory that the average hunter in the US would have considered that thing the apex of huntin' rifles or at least close to it... and if it is in good shape, it'll still do what it was made to (unlike a lot of things nowadays) and look like a thoroughbred while just sitting in the safe.

Stop. Take a deep breath. Now... look at your own signature line.
    Scratch the itch.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

When I worked at the gun shop, a buddy\collector wanted to order a 98K from Mitchell's. Being the financial expert that I am, we saved $25 each by ordering two. One of the younger fellows I worked with was there when I pulled one out of the carton. I opened the bolt on that beautiful specimen and told the guy, "There's not a rifle in this store that's built as well as this one." So, yeah, I'd buy it.

That’s one of the few rifles that would displace my sporterized 03A3. If it’s already scope capable, even better.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Buy it.

For decades, my MO has been to buy a firearm, shoot a few hundred rounds through it, make notes on what I learned, then sell at a loss or trade into the next example. I rarely get attached to any of them and I'd only buy back three if I saw them for sale again.

One was a 1952-vintage FN sporter in 30-06. It looked original from across the room but someone had glass bedded it, free floated the barrel, tuned the original trigger to perfection, and applied a thin coat of polyurethane varnish to the stock. It had been drilled and tapped, but it also had a Redfield peep sight and the stock fit me like it had been made to measure. With a 4x scope, it shot 1 MOA with 180-grain factory Winchester Power Points, which clocked 2,700 fps on the nose.

I now own several well-executed stainless/synthetic sporters. None offers anything meaningful above what the old FN did, and none can compete with it for sheer panache.

ETA: It looked a lot like this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988538898

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 05-25-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Is it a factory commercial sporting rifle or a sporterized 1950 or 1952 military rifle?
    Not that there is anything wrong with a well done sporterizing job, if the price is right.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Having just scratched that particular itch myself...

Do it. If it's not far outside going rate and nothing is bubba'd, you will have the Ur-bolt-action rifle; the one by which all others are judged.
    Aperture sights are a peach being offered you from on high.

Mine's a work in progress getting some stock repair & refinement; hopefully the important niggling details have been addressed in the one you're looking at.

Name:  1640_30-06_full.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  30.4 KB
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-25-2023 at 11:16 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

You guys are throwing a wrench into my afternoon. Looks like I have an errand to run.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List