Thread: Everything You Never Wanted To Know About John Hearne / Two Pillars Training

Everything You Never Wanted To Know About John Hearne / Two Pillars Training

Not sure if this fits here or not, but Recoil magazine has the answers to everything you never wanted to know about John Hearne and Two Pillars Training:

https://www.offgridweb.com/survival/...ter-survivors/
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Not sure if this fits here or not, but Recoil magazine has the answers to everything you never wanted to know about John Hearne and Two Pillars Training:

It seems to be missing a discussion about tacos, however...

I didn't know he was a Sagittarius and liked mai tai's and long walks on the beach
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    It seems to be missing a discussion about tacos, however...
    I'm so miffed my favorite taco joint shut down before he came out last time.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

Great article and great answers.

I especially liked this question and answer which I thought was balanced.

There is still some debate over the efficacy of how competition shooting translates into duty/defensive firearms use. What has been your experience in this regard?

JH: This is a great example of a question where the two offered answers tend to be at extremes, and neither is right. There are those who say that competition has lots of translation, and those that claim it has none. The truth lies somewhere in the middle — it has some clear value, and how the individual engages with it really determines the ultimate value.

The people that proclaim the high value of competition often overlook the heavily scripted nature of most matches. Most matches tend to allow for the rote memorization of the course of fire. This negates a lot of the potential value of having to solve problems on the fly with imperfect information. Doing well tends to be rooted in how well you build and run your shooting plan and deal with any exigencies that occur in the middle of that plan.

The people who say competition has no value are as equally disconnected from reality. A lot of folks who discount competitive shooting simply don’t like the objective measure of their skill that competition can provide. People with very low levels of skill will avoid competition as an ego defense because they don’t want to finish in the bottom 10 percent. These people are also discounting the direct experience of famous gunfighters who all attributed their competitive background to their later success. We have historical examples such as Col. Rex Applegate or Jim Cirillo as well as the testimonials from America’s most elite military operators that they found competition more stressful than real-world gunfights.

I’ll make the following comments on this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by john Hearne
    The people that proclaim the high value of competition often overlook the heavily scripted nature of most matches. Most matches tend to allow for the rote memorization of the course of fire. This negates a lot of the potential value of having to solve problems on the fly with imperfect information. Doing well tends to be rooted in how well you build and run your shooting plan and deal with any exigencies that occur in the middle of that plan.
    It falls along the lines of something you mentioned later:

Quote Originally Posted by john hearne
    We now have solid data that better marksmanship correlates with better decision making under stress.
    Competition gaming doesn’t train tactics. I want to be clear that I don’t think it does.

But if you expand “marksmanship” from more than just slow fire and stand and shoot… it absolutely helps a ton with more complex module and phrase training.

I’ll give you the example of jazz improvisation. The greats would practice or “woodshed” phrases and “licks” which aren’t just notes, but more complex phrases. Think of it like wide transitions and perhaps gear changes and getting back on target after a short movement.

Then they were able to pull those out and link them together “on the fly and on demand” during improvisation when in a dialogue with other musicians back and forth.

That’s what IDPA and USPSA gaming does. It’s not memorizing full stage plans. It’s getting facile with short phrases and “licks” that you can string together on demand. Your feet and torso know how to settle into position to take a difficult shot… you know how much time it’d take to get out of a crouch, you know how a gun feels rapidly picking it up off the table and getting on target… etc etc.

It’s about building a repertoire, not rote memorization.

When I see new stage props or have to do something I’ve never done before… like shoot from inside a car… the repertoire I built from folding chairs and tables absolutely comes into play and makes it familiar…

The lack of novelty gives my brain more available processing power for decision making.

Just to clarify that it’s not about rote memorizing stages. It’s implementing small blocks and phrases that are in your repertoire. Absolutely it’s not as good as force on force with unpredictable variables. But having a repertoire on tap when you need more decision making seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Great article and great answers.

I especially liked this question and answer which I thought was balanced.

I’ll make the following comments on this statement:

It falls along the lines of something you mentioned later:

Competition gaming doesn’t train tactics. I want to be clear that I don’t think it does.

But if you expand “marksmanship” from more than just slow fire and stand and shoot… it absolutely helps a ton with more complex module and phrase training.

I’ll give you the example of jazz improvisation. The greats would practice or “woodshed” phrases and “licks” which aren’t just notes, but more complex phrases. Think of it like wide transitions and perhaps gear changes and getting back on target after a short movement.

Then they were able to pull those out and link them together “on the fly and on demand” during improvisation when in a dialogue with other musicians back and forth.

That’s what IDPA and USPSA gaming does. It’s not memorizing full stage plans. It’s getting facile with short phrases and “licks” that you can string together on demand. Your feet and torso know how to settle into position to take a difficult shot… you know how much time it’d take to get out of a crouch, you know how a gun feels rapidly picking it up off the table and getting on target… etc etc.

It’s about building a repertoire, not rote memorization.

When I see new stage props or have to do something I’ve never done before… like shoot from inside a car… the repertoire I built from folding chairs and tables absolutely comes into play and makes it familiar…

The lack of novelty gives my brain more available processing power for decision making.

Just to clarify that it’s not about rote memorizing stages. It’s implementing small blocks and phrases that are in your repertoire. Absolutely it’s not as good as force on force with unpredictable variables. But having a repertoire on tap when you need more decision making seems like a good idea.
    Excellent insight here JCN. And great musical analogy too.

I shot a fairly challenging local match last week with a couple of guys who shoot weekly locals 3-4 times a week. There’s nothing they haven’t seen, and they can break down a stage in an amazingly short time. As it was raining, this was a distinct advantage.

User Tag List