Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long

32 S&W Long

I scored a S&W Model 31-1 square butt pretty much new in box in .32 S&W Long. I don’t really know much about this gun or the caliber. Seems like a solid J frame and I’m wondering about running the Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast wadcutters in it.

Anyone run this caliber or give me some general deets on it?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I scored a S&W Model 31-1 square butt pretty much new in box in .32 S&W Long. I don’t really know much about this gun or the caliber. Seems like a solid J frame and I’m wondering about running the Buffalo Bore 100 gr hardcast wadcutters in it.

Anyone run this caliber or give me some general deets on it?
    I bought a .327 Fed revolver, but mostly shoot .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long in it. I load my own ammo, and when looking at data, .32 H&R often isn't that much hotter than .32 S&W. I wouldn't feel bad carrying a 31 with Buffalo Bore, or if you could get @Lost River to load you up some ammo.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I have a couple of .32's. An old (it was my father's) K frame .32 and an LCR in .327 and I carry the Buffalo Bore 100 gr in it as far as SD ammo goes.
    I choose the BB based on writings by Daryl Bolke, Wayne Dobbs, Rob Garrett and Bryan Eastridge et al and I am seriously hoping they or someone can influence Georgia Arms into making a good carry round for .32 S&W or .32 H&R Mag like they did for .38 spl.

Like Hambo, I reload. It's the only way I can afford to shoot this, or any, revolver caliber. I don't know if you have the time for such Craig, but .32 is a remarkably versatile caliber to handload for.

Congrats on the Model 31! You're building a fine collection of wheelguns!

Although it sees limited use I also have a S&W model 31-1, 2 in squre butt. It is the only 32 S&W Long revolver I have ever owned and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I paitned the front sight, put a Tyler T on it, and installed a bobbed hammer (keeping the original hammer stock). I have fired several types of ammo including Fiocchi, Magtech, Winchester, Remington, and Buffalo Bore. The only issues were with a specific box of Magtech that seemed to have hard primers. Other boxes/lots were fine. If I were to carry it, I would definitely carry the BB 100 WC and the BB 115 SWC for reloads (although not my favorite, I have HKS sppedloaders as well as Quickstrips) as the BB displayed the most penetration in my impromptu testing.

I think it is a great choice for those who no longer can or want to tolerate the recoil of a .38 J frame as the recoil is super mild, it is accurate, holds 6 rounds, and fits in existing J frame holsters. I know .22 snubby revolvers are in vogue now by many for defensive use and understand the reasoning, but I would rather have the 31-1 with the BB WC over a .22 snubby if I ever actually had to use it to keep someone from killing me.

I wish I had found one with a round butt though. The square butt precludes the use of CTC grips and the current day grip selection is lacking. I have a set of Pachmayr Compacs made for J SQ from back in the day that see occasional use. I would love to see S&W make a no-lock 432 in 32 H&R Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    Although it sees limited use I also have a S&W model 31-1, 2 in squre butt. It is the only 32 S&W Long revolver I have ever owned and it is a lot of fun to shoot. I paitned the front sight, put a Tyler T on it, and installed a bobbed hammer (keeping the original hammer stock). I have fired several types of ammo including Fiocchi, Magtech, Winchester, Remington, and Buffalo Bore. The only issues were with a specific box of Magtech that seemed to have hard primers. Other boxes/lots were fine. If I were to carry it, I would definitely carry the BB 100 WC and the BB 115 SWC for reloads (although not my favorite, I have HKS sppedloaders as well as Quickstrips) as the BB displayed the most penetration in my impromptu testing.

I think it is a great choice for those who no longer can or want to tolerate the recoil of a .38 J frame as the recoil is super mild, it is accurate, holds 6 rounds, and fits in existing J frame holsters. I know .22 snubby revolvers are in vogue now by many for defensive use and understand the reasoning, but I would rather have the 31-1 with the BB WC over a .22 snubby if I ever actually had to use it to keep someone from killing me.

I wish I had found one with a round butt though. The square butt precludes the use of CTC grips and the current day grip selection is lacking. I have a set of Pachmayr Compacs made for J SQ from back in the day that see occasional use. I would love to see S&W make a no-lock 432 in 32 H&R Magnum.
    That’s great info. I’d like to get an extra hammer for mine and have it bobbed too. Did you find a factory one or just get an extra and do it yourself?

I have a nice set of Spegels for this one.

1.) This thread is useless without pictures...

2.) I have a ratty "hand ejector" in 32 S&W Long. The gun is freakishly accurate.
    I've got a bunch of brass saved up to reload, but just haven't gotten around to it...

As a gun, it is just way to small for my hands in a too old caliber ... That said, it was just too cheap not to take.

http://instagram.com/p/CTDTeOAr4et/

3.) The older HE's and Mod 30's were on the iFrame - I'd be leery of launching anything but the mildest loads from it.
    The 31 were based on the j-frame and use some better metal. That said, is there a compelling reason to launch hotter loads out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    That’s great info. I’d like to get an extra hammer for mine and have it bobbed too. Did you find a factory one or just get an extra and do it yourself?

I have a nice set of Spegels for this one.
    Congrats on the Spegels, very nice!

I bought a standard OEM case hardened J frame hammer and had a friend, who is MUCH better at that type of shit than me, bob it. It turned out great.

I have a 4" square butt. I reload for it. I'm using 100 gr lead bullets which I believe are pretty common for that cartridge.

IIRC there was also an I frame 32 long before the 30 and 31 came along. Commercial ammo shouldn't be a problem for any of those models. It isn't a high pressure cartridge to start with so nothing has changed over the ages. BB should be fine.

Really nice little shooters but you may have to put larger grips on it. The problem is not many manufactures make a J frame SB grips. Not sure what mine are but I can look if you want.

You'll like that revolver a lot. You got lucky finding one in that condition. Congratulations.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    Congrats on the Spegels, very nice!

I bought a standard OEM case hardened J frame hammer and had a friend, who is MUCH better at that type of shit than me, bob it. It turned out great.

Yeah I’m not very handy either and lose all of my superpowers if you place hand or power tools close to me.👍🏽

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post

3.) The older HE's and Mod 30's were on the iFrame - I'd be leery of launching anything but the mildest loads from it.
    The 31 were based on the j-frame and use some better metal. That said, is there a compelling reason to launch hotter loads out of it?
    Nah….not really. Maybe a slightly better people round?

User Tag List