Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 1937 Brazilian 45 ACP

Site Supporter

The 1937 Brazilian 45 ACP

A while back a gun smith friend gave me this gun. It had been given to him as compensation for services rendered. It's a 1937 S&W 45 ACP contract for the Brazilian government. This one still sports the original 5.5" barrel, with a humongous front sight and base added. The top strap has been milled for a S&W adjustable rear sight - the original was the standard, fixed gutter sight. Interestingly the unknown guy who put this together did nothing to the internals. It was as issued back in the '30s.

Attachment 105012

Someone in the past had attempted to turn it into a target revolver (like in the 1950s) but it wasn't a ver good representation of the breed. My friend hang on to it for a while but admitted to me he was never going to shoot it. Since he knew I had a 45 ACP revolver already, my blue steel 45 ACP Mountain Gun, he thought I might like it. Needless to say I didn't. I even shot it once with little success...no need to go into details.

Took it back to the now retired gun smith who had given it to me and we discussed what it would take to make it a usable firearm for me. After several months f beating on it, as the spirit moved him, he gave me this:

Attachment 105013

It now sports a 3.5" barrel; a full length soldered on rib - contoured to fit the shape of the old barrel: a fixed rear sight that's fitted tightly enough in the milled out top strap and anchored with a serious screw to hopefully lend some strength; and a re-shaped trigger meant for DA only shooting.

It looks kind of funky because it's dirty from a 48 round (Mooncliped of course) shooting session. I've had it out three times now, last time being yesterday, and I like this old warrior better every time I shoot it. My gun smith to an already "ruined" gun from ugly an not useful to "ain't that a hoot!" I smile every time I pick it up.

Dave

I am not seeing the pictures. This is a cool project.

Site Supporter
    I don't know what the (expletive deleted) happened. When I "previewed" the post the pictures were there. Now it has these Attachment Numbers, which I don't have a clue what to do with. If someone, like an administrator, knows what they mean and can find the pictures I'd sure appreciate it. I am not computer smart enough to fix this.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I wonder if this might work:

Before
    Name:  DSC00249.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  99.5 KB

After
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_322.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  34.3 KB

Dave

Looks amazing!

Oh yes, macho.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    It almost makes me want to get my 1955 target model cut down, almost.

Site Supporter
    What a transformation! The front sight on the "before" picture must have made the gun shoot a foot or more low at 25 yards, unless the shooter had a serous lack of recoil control. The "after" picture looks like a genuinely nice, very useful revolver.

I'd be curious to see what it would look like with a round-butt, but other than that, it looks purposeful, and totally hot.

Congrats!

-Rainman

oh I like that

User Tag List