Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that surprised me at my first ECQC

Things that surprised me at my first ECQC

I'll start out with what didn't -- it was by far the best organized and best instructed class on *anything* I have ever attended. The pedagogy, congruency, and intentionality of everything that Craig & Brian showed was at a whole different level than anything else I've experienced as far as pure instruction quality.

I'll also say that (because I've been cyberstalking Craig's curriculum for over a decade before taking the class), the core of the lessons of the limitations of sport jiu jitsu into a weapons based environment did not surprised me, *even though* they got me stabbed in the taint and shot in the leg in my first evolutions. I am too comfortable in guard, I ignore hands too much... I had those in mind, but that wasn't enough to save my ass vs years of muscle memory.

No, the things that surprised were weird differences that ended up being kind of huge in live action...

- Doing jiu jitsu in work boots *sucks*". Getting hooks in and controlling with them felt like playing piano in a cast.

- Hand control really modifies positions. I achieved back control, but in much too high of a position, which I would normally adjust half a dozen different ways -- and none of them were an option because both my arms were extended locking out my opponent's arm so he would stop stabbing me.

- A gun (at least carried strong side) introduces an extreme level of asymmetry that is not present in normal grappling. An arm drag on my right will result in an immediate weapon access. An arm drag on my left is no better or worse than it is in grappling. It seems a simple training change to try to make my "good" side for a move the side that lets me get to the gun.

- The fake guns, knives, and helmets didn't affect the years of conditioning for "this is a game." I was playing. I got fake shot/stabbed "aww, you got me." On the one hand... hurrah, stress inoculation! I was only breathing hard after some of the evolutions because of the damn helmets. On the other hand... maaaybe I need to find a way to pay more focussed attention to the fact that I'm losing and losing means BAD THINGS, not just a slap bump & try again. Not sure how to bring that mindset into my training more, but I think I need to find a way to.

I will admit, I have resisted integrating too much "self defense" stuff into my regular jiu jitsu training. *Primarily* because I didn't trust local instruction to be quality. I didn't want to "grab some fake knives and figure things out" because I was pretty sure that was whatever I was going to "figure out" was going to be magic bullshit that only worked because my opponent didn't know the simple counter. And the available instruction seemed even worse (and somehow... all taught by weirdos?)

This course changed my mind. The fundamental principles they showed make me feel like maybe I can "trust" some of the stuff we might figure out on the mat. I'm excited to pick up some blue guns & rubber knives and go to town with my jiu jitsu friends. It also made me really wish that it was reasonable to have regular courses where we continue beyond the basics. That is the biggest advantage, to me, that jiu jitsu has over gun training -- you don't save up and travel for a couple weekend classes, you show up every day and drill and spar. What does *that* look like in this context -- what does the advanced class look like?

I want ADCC for entangled gunfights and training camps for it is what I'm saying. Get FloGrappling on the phone and let's make this happen ;-)
    Last edited by ford.304; 05-22-2023 at 11:25 AM.

I'm interested in this course, but I'm curious about how much grappling is involved. I have a fusion at C6/C7 so I'm worried about issues with my neck.
    You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
    I'm interested in this course, but I'm curious about how much grappling is involved. I have a fusion at C6/C7 so I'm worried about issues with my neck.
    My understanding is that Craig, aka @SouthNarc, can work with your limitations just fine. If I remember correctly, he has had everything from teenage girls to 83 year old men in his class, all with varying abilities. I would just let him know your issues, and sit out anything you think is a bad idea.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    My understanding is that Craig, aka @SouthNarc, can work with your limitations just fine. If I remember correctly, he has had everything from teenage girls to 83 year old men in his class, all with varying abilities. I would just let him know your issues, and sit out anything you think is a bad idea.
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the information, I will look at courses in my area and I will contact Craig.
    You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

I went last year and I am going again this year. I think everyone who can should do this class.

Craig keeps the evolutions under pretty good control. I was 50 when I went and was concerned about getting injured but could tell that any serious injury would be very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Craig keeps the evolutions under pretty good control. I was 50 when I went and was concerned about getting injured but could tell that any serious injury would be very unlikely.
    I think Craig said he can count on one had the number of serious injuries he's had in ECQC (the Belgian/Brit cop incident comes to mind )
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I think Craig said he can count on one had the number of serious injuries he's had in ECQC (the Belgian/Brit cop incident comes to mind )
    I think we had 3 "injuries" in this class.

The worst was one guy had a minor finger dislocation during an evolution when the other guy used a gun disarm and his finger got stuck in the trigger guard. It popped back into place and seemed to be doing ok.

One guy had to leave early because he got sunscreen in his eyes, couldn't get it rinsed out enough, and had a major reaction (felt really bad for the dude).

A guy who already had a bad knee banged it on the ground in a takedown during an evolution. He limped a little bit for the rest of the class, but said it was fine by the end of the next day.

Oh, and I had to put a band-aid on a cut on my thumb from doing disarms on a fake gun a guy brought in which had an optic on it. So, you know, real serious injury.

We had folks of all skill levels, fitness levels, and sizes there. I would say that if you were training with spinal injury, that some of the wrestling drills rely on head positioning and pressure and can put some force on your neck if you're "doing them enthusiastically wrong." But from my experience in jiu jitsu the wonderfully easy answer to that is "talk to your partner before you start the drill and don't go as hard on those drills." And by all means tell Craig and he'll take care of you.

I took my first ECQC (of 3, or 4 if one counts EWO) with a fresh off the jits mat meniscus tear. Knee swollen like a grapefruit, non bendable. @Maple Syrup Actual had to help me schlepp my shit from the car to the range. I paid him in whiskey. But I digress: I had to sit out the evos. Still waaaay worth it.

I was legally blind (detachment related cataracts, 3 and 4+) when I took EWO--I got knocked out by an elementary school teacher in one of the evos--but not hurt, Craig called it the second it looked like I was compromised. None of these things interfered with my learning a ton in each course. I had to sit out the last Evo in my 3rd ECQC due to my knee again. Point being, you work with what you have, and the obligations you bring. If you're a micro surgeon, take the class and skip the EVOs. It's not the end of the world. I'd note that ECQC caused *none* of my injuries; I arrived as a beat-up dilettante martial artist in my 50s, and Craig worked with me--and everyone else there--perfectly. He's a genius at matching people up, and the nature of the course screens out the assholes. I've never found better training partners anywhere, and I remain friends with many of my fellow alumni to this day. I'm grabbing lunch this week with a bud from ECQC #1, in fact.

I'm so sold on the overarching training concept that I'm looking at juggling some employment to get to my 5th Craig course in August. Most def still my highest priority as a training junkie.
    FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    That's good to hear. Thanks for the information, I will look at courses in my area and I will contact Craig.
    I have similar (although no fusion yet) neck issues.... 2/3 and 6/7
    Would be interested in hearing your experience if/when you take the class...

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    We had folks of all skill levels, fitness levels, and sizes there. I would say that if you were training with spinal injury, that some of the wrestling drills rely on head positioning and pressure and can put some force on your neck if you're "doing them enthusiastically wrong." But from my experience in jiu jitsu the wonderfully easy answer to that is "talk to your partner before you start the drill and don't go as hard on those drills." And by all means tell Craig and he'll take care of you.
    Encouraging... Thanks..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List