Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things that surprised me at my first ECQC

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    The worst was one guy had a minor finger dislocation during an evolution when the other guy used a gun disarm and his finger got stuck in the trigger guard. It popped back into place and seemed to be doing ok.
    Truth. I jacked up three fingers in EWO; sprains that took a several weeks to get back to normal (read: "three weeks of heckling from Guerrera")
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Truth. I jacked up three fingers in EWO; sprains that took a several weeks to get back to normal (read: "three weeks of heckling from Guerrera")
    Gun retention seems to be pretty awful on your fingers, from my limited experience (2 classes) drilling on them. I'm looking into blue guns now and trying to think if there's anything to consider to make them less injury-causing. Maybe just cut off the finger guard entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    Gun retention seems to be pretty awful on your fingers, from my limited experience (2 classes) drilling on them. I'm looking into blue guns now and trying to think if there's anything to consider to make them less injury-causing. Maybe just cut off the finger guard entirely...
    Or just don't put your finger in it I guess. Is cranking on a blue gun when someone's finger is in the trigger guard the equivalent on cranking an armbar on your training partner? I know it's ECQC and everything but it seems like basically intentionally breaking your classmates fingers might be avoidable...

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    Or just don't put your finger in it I guess. Is cranking on a blue gun when someone's finger is in the trigger guard the equivalent on cranking an armbar on your training partner? I know it's ECQC and everything but it seems like basically intentionally breaking your classmates fingers might be avoidable...
    Honestly, removing the trigger guard is better with a Blue Gun used in disarms training. If you're indexed along the side and someone wrenches the gun, your finger is already extended, they only need to wrench it outward and you've got a dislocated finger. It results in more injuries, not less.

This is also one of the reasons why the knife grips we teach are basically closed fists (no 'thumb capping' or thumb on spine) and why your BJJ instructor tells you to not put your thumbs on the inside of your Gi grips. In all those cases, any pre-existing extension of the digit makes for both a weaker grip and a grip that is easier to result in a jammed or broken finger through twisting/wrenching.

Also, ECQC uses SIMs in the EVOs. So you're trying to shoot the guy trying to take your gun.

User Tag List