Thread: Talk my out of a Mystery Ranch Gunfighter purchase!!!

Talk my out of a Mystery Ranch Gunfighter purchase!!!

I’ve been looking for a nice EDC sized backpack ant the Mystery Ranch Gunfighter really caught my eye. They have 2 sizes, a 14 and 24. The 14 looks too small but the 24 looks nice, but I’m only basing this on pictures.

Anyone here own of handled the Gunfighter? Opinions or alternatives would be appreciated! Right now, the only thing stopping me is the price and the fact that I can’t actually handle one…

I'll preface my comments by clearly stating that I have zero experience with the Mystery Ranch packs, and I am sure they make excellent equipment. But your post was titled in a manner to seek discouragement from purchasing one of the "24 "models.

Here's how I would talk myself out of the purchase:

It costs $350

I would have to look around to find stuff to carry in it

Problem solved

Site Supporter
    Ok, you asked.

Didn’t check but you are probably getting USA made with the Gunfighter, maybe not.

If you need to roll with a folding stock AR or pistol then that is probably what you need.

Otherwise the Gunfighter is a high profile, I am the most tactical dude out there sort of statement. Got too many pockets to lose stuff in and justify the need to carry another small boutique titanium pry bar in it and get some molle pouches for additional TQ’s.

Look at the Urban Assault 18 or 21. I have both the 21 and 24. 24 is right you EDC a laptop and tablet and other things.

The 21 fits my water bottle, some extra layers, trauma kit, pouch of hand roll cigs, reading glasses, notebook. Some kid snacks and boo boo kit for my 7 year olds. Room for a lunch or some extra if needed.

Lower profile, simpler and $120 range. Get a color you like. Live low profile.

Not trying to be an asshole and I don’t care what you do but you asked.

Thanks for the replies! I must admit, I was hypnotized by the Uber tacti-cool aspects of the pack. But in the end, I don’t plan on going to war with the thing… just daily errands, short hikes, and maybe some range trips. I’ll check out the Urban Assault pack, but I’m still open to other suggestions.

I'm still using my Jensport backpack from highschool and that was a very long time ago. It's just a avg backpack. There's no MOLLE, no paracord, it's not even the right color but it carries shit so there's that.

Has been my gym bag, range bag, overnight/3 day bag, camping bag, vacation carry on bag. During the mostly peaceful summer it carried my AKSU..... I think it was $20 way back when that ment something

MR build quality is superb. My only beef with the brand is that their gear looks so good that I want to buy way more pack than I need.

Definitely handle each model you're considering before you buy. I wanted a hunting pack on the Guide Light MT frame until I tried it on. Even when it was fully collapsed, the frame hit me in the back of the head unless I was standing upright, so no shooting from prone, discomfort while riding a mountain bike, etc. I ended up with a less expensive model (Pop Up 38) on the Pop Up frame that has none of those problems.

When I bought an EDC pack from them, I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to compare pockets and other organization features. I ended up with a great little pack that was far less expensive than the one I would have chosen had I only shopped online.

Also, the website seem to cycle through models pretty quickly. Retailers often have older models in stock that the site no longer shows. Google "Mystery Ranch packs" and you'll find them. A couple of places now the Pop Up 38 that I bought for about 40% less than I paid.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    I’ve been looking for a nice EDC sized backpack ant the Mystery Ranch Gunfighter really caught my eye. They have 2 sizes, a 14 and 24. The 14 looks too small but the 24 looks nice, but I’m only basing this on pictures.

Anyone here own of handled the Gunfighter? Opinions or alternatives would be appreciated! Right now, the only thing stopping me is the price and the fact that I can’t actually handle one…
    The only time I have handled that specific MR Gunfighter is when it was being sold as a motorcycle backpack at my favorite motorcycle gear shop in Tokyo, and it’s actually a bit cheaper there than direct from MR due to the dollar-yen exchange rate and duty free status for my purchases. That particular shop carries quite a few different MR packs for that particular purpose.

Outstanding quality and the brand is very popular among my hunting friends, but you do pay dearly for the Berry compliant models.

Mystery Ranch builds excellent stuff. I don't own a Gunfighter 24, but I've handled one and it is a well-thought-out pack.

My biggest concern about carrying one in an urban environment is that if I saw a group of people and had to play "which person is most likely carrying a gun" I'd pick the person carrying the Mystery Ranch pack.

In the woods, I'm a Hill People Gear guy. My Town Bag is a Fjallraven because in downtown Portland that's essentially camouflage. My level of caution may not be warranted for you. My workplace is routinely surveilled by assholes from both ends of the politically extreme horseshoe.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    So I absolutely love Mystery Ranch products and have settled on them for my pack needs. (Though I also love HPG as well). The price on the Gunfighter line is so expensive as that’s the line that gets issued to SOCOM and has to be Berry Compliant and made in the USA. I would only dissuade you away from the Gunfighter line to point you toward a less tactical option for EDC, or for a non-US model for a little savings. If you want the tactical look, the 2-Day Assault, Rip-Ruck, and Urban Assault models all have tactical and non-tactical color ways. If you like the hiking style, the Galligator is a steal at it’s price. All of these are definitely well made and will be fine if you don’t need the bomb-proofness built into the mil lines. Which, unless you’re deploying, you probably don’t.

User Tag List