Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Gear at Matches

Site Supporter
    This weekend's match will take about 20 mags, I figure - looking at the stage PDFs. That will take all my G17 mags except the four I have loaded with SD rounds for the zombies. I wear six, load one round from a mag in my cargo pocket and then put in a full mag (we are a 10 round state, Clarence!). On DA STREEZ, it's usually just one or two extra mags. The mag pouches are realistic for concealed carry. Galco Matrix or Blade Tech Signature Double Mag Pouch × 2.

The holster is a JM custom Road Dog for a left hander. All this hides nicely under floppy old shirts or a light jacket, puffy or fleece vests for EDC or IDPA (horrors, concealment, horrors). Belts are various companies conventional looking but gun leather belts.

I will also take one extra box of 50 rounds, in the range bag. Thus, the 4 wheel folding car (mine is camo, so it is tactical gear) is a god send for the folding chair and cooler. I always have an extra box 9s and 45s in the car's end of the world kit. So far they have only been used for friend who ran out of ammo, as have been my backup holster for a friend who forgot his. Also have extra cheap ears. Spare boots as I had a set fall apart in a class (Don't buy LLBean boots)!.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-23-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As far as practicing with competition rigs making you better such that you don't need much practice on J frames - well, opinions vary. I guess all those J frame classes are waste of time from our SMEs.
    Maybe.

Ironically, I shoot J frames pretty well and I don’t practice with them.

So I guess that’s the counterpoint I’m making. A “C” class shooter is going to need a lot of time on specific guns.

The M/GM crowd may not. You insist on snarking at them chasing milliseconds, but they’re chasing efficiency and skill that translates over to general improvement. And better skill than slow firing dot torture to slide lock.

Don’t confuse your situation with what’s possible with more skill.

Again, I don’t practice with J frames but I can shoot them fine on demand.

Because of competition training.

The better I get, the better I get.
    Last edited by JCN; 05-23-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Brutality matches seem to be gaining traction and they tend to have divisions where you are required to wear armor, helmets, a certain amount of other gear, plus ammo, spares, and so forth.

And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Biathlons or "Run n guns" have also gained a lot of popularity in the last 10 years. Running 3-15 miles through trails and obstacles with all your gear necessitates different holsters and pouches. I've seen quite a few broken mag pouches and holsters in these events.

Tactical Gear at Matches

I fall into this category, 100%. I haven’t ever shot any big matches but several local ones and am always fitting into a larper stereotype at them. A small part of it is because I’m active duty, so my pants are usually Multicam because the lightest weight and coolest pants I own that I still don’t mind getting dirty and sweaty are all in that pattern. I use a “war belt” for everything. It’s also Multicam as are the pouches on it but I’ve had it set up the same way since about 2016 and it’s worked great for pistol and rifle classes, pistol and rifle comps, run n guns, and the few times I’ve taken it to work. It’s just stupid versatile and I’m consistent with it since I use it for everything. My Safariland holster is kind of the same way, as long as I defeat the ALS, the gun flies out of it much faster than any standard retention fit holster but I can do a 5k run n gun with the same holster and know that it’s protected and not coming out.

I have done a few unsanctioned rifle matches in full kit. That felt extra larpy but that was at the same club that was hosting the run n guns where I had signed up for the armored division so I was using those matches to help train up for it. Still felt cringy but it really is better training than most other types of shooting that most people get to do.

I hate advertising that I’m military, I actually get talked to at work fairly often for not being in uniform because I just don’t like everyone paying attention to it. But, it doesn’t make sense to have multiple setups when what I’ve been using accomplishes what I need so well. The biggest indicator is obviously the pants but they’re so stupid comfortable that I’m willing to look larper to wear them in hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-25-2023 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I fall into this category, 100%. I haven’t ever shit any big matches but several local ones and am always fitting into a larper stereotype at them. A small part of it is because I’m active duty, so my pants are usually Multicam because the lightest weight and coolest pants I own that I still don’t mind getting dirty and sweaty are all in that pattern. I use a “war belt” for everything. It’s also Multicam as are the pouches on it but I’ve had it set up the same way since about 2016 and it’s worked great for pistol and rifle classes, pistol and rifle comps, run n guns, and the few times I’ve taken it to work. It’s just stupid versatile and I’m consistent with it since I use it for everything. My Safariland holster is kind of the same way, as long as I defeat the ALS, the gun flies out of it much faster than any standard retention fit holster but I can do a 5k run n gun with the same holster and know that it’s protected and not coming out.

I have done a few unsanctioned rifle matches in full kit. That felt extra larpy but that was at the same club that was hosting the run n guns where I had signed up for the armored division so I was using those matches to help train up for it. Still felt cringy but it really is better training than most other types of shooting that most people get to do.

I hate advertising that I’m military, I actually get talked to at work fairly often for not being in uniform because I just don’t like everyone paying attention to it. But, it doesn’t make sense to have multiple setups when what I’ve been using accomplishes what I need so well. The biggest indicator is obviously the pants but they’re so stupid comfortable that I’m willing to look larper to wear them in hot weather.

1) on your first point, you shit at big matches just like a local match.

2) I enjoy seeing military and LE shooters using tactical gear, and frankly am envious how it looks a lot more comfortable than my Open rig.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) on your first point, you shit at big matches just like a local match.

2) I enjoy seeing military and LE shooters using tactical gear, and frankly am envious how it looks a lot more comfortable than my Open rig.
    Yeah probably says something about how often I use bad words if autocorrect changes it from shot to shit…

I don’t even notice the belt unless it’s fully loaded with full rifle and pistol mags (I can carry two rifle and three pistol on it) so its decently comfortable, for what it is.

I do run a small drop leg on the Safariland though, to help it clear a plate carrier if I am in one. That’s less comfortable and I know is a problem with some match rules but I’m always shooting open and either its been ok or they let me roll regardless. I consistently finish mid-pack so the real competitors obviously aren’t in any danger because of the drop on my holster.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Biathlons or "Run n guns" have also gained a lot of popularity in the last 10 years.
    The local club I three gun at, CCFSA in Wilmington OH, is doing one this weekend. It will probably only be a mile or less, if it is like what I have done in the past. I am glad I did it once, but am not doing it this time. But it sells out (40-50 shooters) when three gun only drew fifteen shooters last month (when it was cold and nasty still and they were planning a shotgun load-o-rama, I bailed on that also) and typically only around thirty shooters on a normal day in the warmer months. Not so many opportunities so people travel from farther. I figured I would give up my spot to somebody who actually LIKES that shit!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The local club I three gun at, CCFSA in Wilmington OH, is doing one this weekend. It will probably only be a mile or less, if it is like what I have done in the past. I am glad I did it once, but am not doing it this time. But it sells out (40-50 shooters) when three gun only drew fifteen shooters last month (when it was cold and nasty still and they were planning a shotgun load-o-rama, I bailed on that also) and typically only around thirty shooters on a normal day in the warmer months. Not so many opportunities so people travel from farther. I figured I would give up my spot to somebody who actually LIKES that shit!
    There does seems to be much higher demand than supply. Not that many venues that will allow 100+ competitors all kitted out running around semi-unsupervised. Pretty common for these events to sell out in 15 minutes.

For a long while it seemed like the only ones were in Texas and Oklahoma which drew a lot of travel. Now there are a lot along the east coast in FL, GA, AL, TN, SC, NC, KY

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Now there are a lot along the east coast in FL, GA, AL, TN, SC, NC, KY
    The MD that puts them on goes to one in Kentucky, and draws on a lot of his friends from that match.

User Tag List