Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Gear at Matches

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I get it that you have your view about skills and transfer of training. I hope it works for you.
    Hey I’m just trying to contextualize the counterpoint that the outsider view of “chasing milliseconds” may not be what it seems from yelling at clouds.

I think it’s pretty well established that once you’re past a certain point of skill, the gun and equipment doesn’t matter very much at all.

Tactics and situational awareness are the things that will matter more than that.

In my competition days I did pretty well, IPSC, High Power Rifle, Bullseye, etc. I remember the first time I saw Rob Leatham shoot back in the 80s, and knew I'd never do that well. But, I did pretty well. You know what one of the keys to that was? Concentrating on my shooting and not giving a tinkers damn about what anyone else was doing.

Cheese on a cracker people, who gives a fuck about someone's gear in a very niche sport? As long as they're safe why is it of any interest to you? Tactical, not Tactical. Shit, none of it's realistic and it's all just a damn game. Gamer or gunner, some of you need to get over yourselves.

More shooting, less judgement.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I think it’s pretty well established that once you’re past a certain point of skill, the gun and equipment doesn’t matter very much at all.
    That's why you should carry the new Bond single shot 45-70 Cyclops derringer as EDC as equipment doesn't matter much - LOL.

You know of course, that even with experienced shooters, performance degrades with the smaller carry guns - thus practice specifically with them is important. Some GM USPSA did that study IIRC.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Question to some- do the realistic gear guys in your experience, plan the unrealistic but planned dropping of partially loaded mags to shave milliseconds? Do they carry more mags than they normally would?
    I’m not LE or mil and when I was shooting local USPSA it was with AIWB carry gear and not tac gear, but I just shot to slide lock to avoid doing game specific reload stuff.

Not arguing that’s necessary at all, but it’s what I did and would probably do again if I got back into it.

Edit to add, I also had and would have the luxury of not being competitive in the first place so that isn’t a hard choice. Back then I was shooting limited minor with a very production gun to use AIWB, and now if I get back to it I’m going to be running a 9mm 1911 with a dot, which is suicidal as far as division competitiveness goes.
    Last edited by Elwin; 05-22-2023 at 06:55 PM.

That's why you should carry the new Bond single shot 45-70 Cyclops derringer as EDC as equipment doesn't matter much - LOL.

You know of course, that even with experienced shooters, performance degrades with the smaller carry guns - thus practice specifically with them is important. Some GM USPSA did that study IIRC.
    That's a conflated conclusion, professor.

Of course performance degrades with the smaller carry guns... but your conclusion of "thus practice specifically with them is important..." doesn't follow.

The alternate conclusion could be:

Performance degrades with the smaller carry guns... so it's important to improve your overall skill so that even with degradation you have plenty of reserve skill to accomplish the task.

I confirm and test with my small carry guns. Every time I do so, I find that while I'm worse with them than competition guns... THE BETTER I GET, THE BETTER I GET.

So for example, I hadn't touched my small carry gun at all in months. Had been training for competition and decided to confirm for shits and grins.

The better I get, the better I get.

And competition guns and equipment are much better training and I'm able to progress and train longer and harder without getting beaten up by snappy little guns.

It's simple to then take that training back to the carry gun to test and confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I don't recall anybody shooting in a helmet, but one of the few enthusiasts deputies here would compete in full fig, vest, retention holster, flapped magazine pouches, etc.
    A local 2-gun match I have gone to a couple times has an Armored class, requiring plates:
    Name:  Armored.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  6.3 KB
    Last match about six shooters did it. Saw a couple guys wearing helmets, including the MD/Organizer. Very nice match with what I consider some nice stages. The guys doing the Armored class seemed to cover a spectrum. I think they might be required to sling a rifle, even if it si a pistol only stage.

They are probably the most enjoyable matches I have done, even with some of the stages being tough for a guy in my age group. They are doing nice courses of fire without too much obsession on total fairness, with nothing being unreasonably difficult to achieve. One stage included hitting a target, then laying your rifle on the ground (in the mud...), throwing a kettlebell as far as you could, where it landed was your next firing position, repeat until the KB is over the finish line. If you were over forty the KB was ten pounds lighter (25lbs), I argued over sixty should get to throw a softball!
    Anyway, some young dude (who was smoking like a chimney between each stage) managed it in about three throws (I needed 5-6) and did it in about half the time, with the heavier KB.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    A local 2-gun match I have gone to a couple times has an Armored class, requiring plates:
    Name:  Armored.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  6.3 KB
    Last match about six shooters did it. Saw a couple guys wearing helmets, including the MD/Organizer. Very nice match with what I consider some nice stages. The guys doing the Armored class seemed to cover a spectrum. I think they might be required to sling a rifle, even if it si a pistol only stage.

They are probably the most enjoyable matches I have done, even with some of the stages being tough for a guy in my age group. They are doing nice courses of fire without too much obsession on total fairness, with nothing being unreasonably difficult to achieve. One stage included hitting a target, then laying your rifle on the ground (in the mud...), throwing a kettlebell as far as you could, where it landed was your next firing position, repeat until the KB is over the finish line. If you were over forty the KB was ten pounds lighter (25lbs), I argued over sixty should get to throw a softball!
    Anyway, some young dude (who was smoking like a chimney between each stage) managed it in about three throws (I needed 5-6) and did it in about half the time, with the heavier KB.
    Was that CCFSA? I registered for Sundays “sprinter match “ (I think that’s what they called it).

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Was that CCFSA? I registered for Sundays “sprinter match “ (I think that’s what they called it).
    No, that was in Pickaway county, in Circleville.
    Have done the Sprinter match, not planning to this year. Will do the next 3-gun.

Site Supporter
    Around here, if you shoot to slide lock, the crowd is horrified over the mistake!!! There is so much nuance of the great minds huddling and planning ever step and reload it does get a touch silly. Standing in positions like an Olympic sprinter to start - yeah, right. Then shooting lots of Cs on the side of the A zone but FAST.

Yes, it's a game strategy, shouldn't yell about it. It's fun and I shoot to get what I want out of it. However, I don't engage in fantasy that it is the best SD training. This, however, is a boring conversation now. To each his or her or pronoun own.

As far as practicing with competition rigs making you better such that you don't need much practice on J frames - well, opinions vary. I guess all those J frame classes are waste of time from our SMEs.

Throwing a kettle ball - in my youth when I used to lift such heavy things. Now can I throw the tea kettle?
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Throwing a kettle ball - in my youth when I used to lift such heavy things. Now can I throw the tea kettle?
    One of those occasions when I was in the middle of the squad and having an opportunity to make some observations helped. It was muddy, and many stronger people were heaving the thing as far and high as possible, but it was sticking like a pro golfer sticks on a green. I tried flinging it and getting as much roll as I could. My time was almost double the winner, but I was able to complete the task and had fun.

Another stage at the same club involved hitting two fairly easy targets at about 90yds, and advancing forward and over through four more positions to a table where you left your rifle and transitioned to a pistol position starting at about 30-40yds and advancing forward to four more positions as you hit the two targets. But here is the rub, if you missed either target you backed up to the prior position, and if you missed there you backed up again, and again, until you might end up back at the beginning. After I missed at the second position I slowed my ass down and just made sure I hit and went clean the rest of the way, shot slow as hell and was in the top ten at that stage.

Anyway, just what I think is imaginative stuff, and if you wanna lug a carrier with plates in it that was one of the class options.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-23-2023 at 11:10 AM.

User Tag List