Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Gear at Matches

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I don't care what someone wears as long as its safe.
    Totally agree. One of my most frustrating moments occurred when I finally got a co-worker to attend a local IDPA match. I told him to carry like he did off-duty. He showed up with his Sig P229 in a pancake holster underneath an untucked polo shirt - pretty classic cop carry. The RSO admonished him that the way he was carrying was fundamentally unsafe but he'd let him shoot this match. My buddy never attended another match.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Totally agree. One of my most frustrating moments occurred when I finally got a co-worker to attend a local IDPA match. I told him to carry like he did off-duty. He showed up with his Sig P229 in a pancake holster underneath an untucked polo shirt - pretty classic cop carry. The RSO admonished him that the way he was carrying was fundamentally unsafe but he'd let him shoot this match. My buddy never attended another match.
    Sadly I've seen a bunch of that type of behavior. Which is unfortunate as I think IDPA is a good sport, especially with the most recent rule.changes, like allowing AIWB.

I see less of that kind of nonsense at USPSA matches.

I get tired of being lectured on tactics at IDPA. I shouldn't get cranky about it, as im sure the hundreds of hours of formal training I've had can't match up to the person who went to a 2 day church security class, and is classified as "marksman."

Totally agree. One of my most frustrating moments occurred when I finally got a co-worker to attend a local IDPA match. I told him to carry like he did off-duty. He showed up with his Sig P229 in a pancake holster underneath an untucked polo shirt - pretty classic cop carry. The RSO admonished him that the way he was carrying was fundamentally unsafe but he'd let him shoot this match. ...
    Was an explanation given as to why, how this was fundamentally unsafe?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    I'd be interested to know, first thing that popped into my mind was re-holstering if it was a pure pancake style.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Might be, I have seen shooters having to peel open a leather holster, sweeping their off hands.
    But then I have seen it with kydex that did not appear to need to be held open.

It is seldom noticed and not a DQ when seen.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Supposedly a cover garment issue.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    You shoot USPSA from concealment?
    Sometimes...

http://instagram.com/p/CfW1LMfj2eA/

That's pretty sad. One thing I absolutely hate is when range officials open their fucking mouths and spew straight bullshit at people.

I'm sorry about the language, and I usually try to behave here, but this one grinds my gears as it ruins more people to the sport than anything.

I make it a point to grab new people, engage with them, "assign" them a chaperone and tell them if they ever have any questions, to ask.

We've got to do better.

I just shot a local 2 gun match Saturday. There have always been a few guys in camo and pretty much full on military like gear. But this time three were on my squad. I have to say, they were just fine people to shoot with and pretty accomplished too. NO safety problems at all. At one point one of them had had trouble w/ a reload on his AR. After he shot, the 3 were chatting about it and one said, 'we haven't trained reloads with you have we? I got the distinct impression that these guys do some of their own training/practicing on specific skills and that impressed me. I am going to make it a point to hang w/ them when I can. It had been in the 90s for 3 days and that was forecast again for match day. But they still showed up in full gear. I have to give them credit doing that while I had on shorts and a light fishing shirt, wallet and cell phone in the range bag, so I could pour water on myself to keep cool.

Site Supporter
    We are having a touch of an argument about having an SO watch you make your gun hot, so you will be so on the way home. Now some gear isn't conducive to concealed carry but some are. Some folks liked to be armed on the drive home. In TX, the IDPA folks would ask you to have an SO watch you or some ran a hot match, in some NYS IDPA, it was go to the safe area and make it hot. Our USPSA folks were horrified by the idea when I asked. They were sure that on the walk to you car with a hot gun, you would shoot yourself. What if you dropped your gun - from the folks who allow nondrop safe gun and NYS knows where that leads.

So you have to have an SO watch you take your gun from your holster, show clear and pouch it, to prevent chaos. I'm surprised these folks even carry a gun (before the CCIA ), I'm sure many don't.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List