Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Folding Knives Under 2.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm not a big fan of folders, honestly. I decided to go with Clinch Pick-style knives years ago, but that's not an option presently.

Can you open that "up" and "down"? Meaning, if your pinky is in the finger ring, can you still deploy the blade?
    Tangentially: I’m a *huge* CP fan, but even my ECQC training buddy/alum who are local LEO tell me it’s a no-go. [/FML]

As to opening both ways, I just tried it again, and sure, it’s doable. But the thing is specifically designed to rocket out of a pocket, waistband, or molle vest in reverse grip. FWIW.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Tangentially: I’m a *huge* CP fan, but even my ECQC training buddy/alum who are local LEO tell me it’s a no-go.
    Why is the CP a no-go? Because it's a fixed blade?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The Spyderco Dodo was designed exactly for this purpose. Unfortunately it is no longer a regular production knife, but is occasionally made in limited runs.

The blade is 2.06 inches long. The handle is designed to provide a much better grip than most knives with a blade this small. The ball bearing lock is excellent. The pocket clip is discreet, but may need to be bent to optimize tension (all of mine have had to e loosened).

Th linked example is more expensive than most with carbon fiber handles.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyder...n-Fiber--12841
    Thanks for mentioning this knife! Happened upon one on ebay with the jade green translucent scales and it's now on the way to me. I've downsized the size of blades I carry since retirement. My favorite so far is the 3" Three River Knives Neutron. Sharpest blade I've ever seen out of the box.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Why is the CP a no-go? Because it's a fixed blade?
    Yeah. Case law in the mid 90s eventually borked fix blade carry:

A Seattle police officer, Angela Johnson, responding to a public disturbance complaint at an intersection, encountered sixteen-year-old Dalona Myles, who “rudely responded” when questioned by officer Johnson. This precipitated a pat-down search of Myles, which revealed a paring knife with a three-inch blade in a pocket. She was charged, as a juvenile, for carrying a “dangerous weapon” furtively and with intent to conceal the same. The record does not suggest that Myles took the knife in hand during the incident.

Myles was found guilty in the juvenile proceeding and then sought review by the Washington Court of Appeals. That court held that the paring knife was a dangerous weapon:

A fixed-blade paring knife of whatever length is sufficiently like the specific objects ‘dagger’ and ‘dirk,’ named in the statute, that neither an ordinary citizen nor a police officer would have trouble understanding that under certain circumstances, such a knife may be a ‘dangerous weapon.’ State v Myles, 879 P2d 968 (1994). (underling supplied)

The Court of Appeals gave the nod to the principle of ejusdem generis and concluded that a ‘fixed-blade paring knife of whatever length’ was in the same class of knives as “daggers” and “dirks.” It incorporated “circumstances of possession” into 9.41.250. In other words, a thing might be a simple legal utensil in a kitchen, but if it is carried out into a street, it becomes a dangerous weapon…

..The State Supreme Court accepted that the paring knife was a dangerous weapon and did not disturb the Court of Appeals’ reasoning on that issue. It further solidifies the circumstances of possession aspect by judicial incorporation:

Lastly, we note that our reading of the statute is consistent with its apparent purpose. The statute is clearly designed to deter and punish the carrying of dangerous weapons under conditions which create an increased risk of unexpected or unforewarned violence. State v Myles, 903 P2d 979 (1995).

Thus, it is likely that, given the circumstances or conditions, any fixed blade knife, regardless of blade length, can be a “dangerous weapon.”

It took a while for this to play out, but the general LE consensus is that a concealed FB—even a short one—fits the statute. There is no provision in WA CCW permit law for anything other than pistols (unlike, say, Idaho—where a permit covers just about anything: Bowie knives, saps, nunchaku, Hi-points… whatever floats your boat…).

Of course, it appears that one can OC a fixed blade, but, #1 if I’m OC’ing a knife, it’ll be a lot bigger than a CP and, #2, I’m never going to be OC’ing anything anywhere urban in my particular lifestyle.

Sort of a drag, but that’s the hand that’s been dealt.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    If you were willing to get the specialized training, this may be an option. Carried AIWB it could be one of the faster to deploy options available.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...All-Black/1022
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Since it's technically a fixed blade, would a Ka Bar LDK be out of the question?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Since it's technically a fixed blade, would a Ka Bar LDK be out of the question?
    I dnlk. But I have one and it’s applicable to using it as a tool. The problem really is when you become a tool.

Does it have to be a folding knife? I have a Boker Plus USB OTF knife that looks like a USB flash drive. I drop it in my scrub side pocket and it is handy as hell. Surprisingly it is also legal in CA! The HK below has a larger handle.

https://regimentblades.com/folding-blade-steel-knife/

Definitely a different direction but the Regiment (Colonel) folder is listed at 2.3”. It’s a fairly large footprint, though.

I played with Defoor’s fixed Colonel at a class, it “made sense.” Al Savitti has some example videos on his IG and YT; I have the Regiment folder inbound.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Fixed blade knives are explicitly verboten, unless you're using them to cut food, and I doubt that'd fool anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I have a Boker Plus USB OTF knife that looks like a USB flash drive.
    Not sure about OTF knives, but USB sticks are definitely not allowed.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List