Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Folding Knives Under 2.5"

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Defensive Folding Knives Under 2.5"

New workplace is a "weapons free" zone, with an explicit carve out made for folding knives with blades at or under 2.5 inches long. A knife visibly clipped to a pocket - while officially allowed - might raise eyebrows, so something that can be concealed along the waistline is preferable.

Not concerned about price if it'll last. Ideas?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    New workplace is a "weapons free" zone, with an explicit carve out made for folding knives with blades at or under 2.5 inches long. A knife visibly clipped to a pocket - while officially allowed - might raise eyebrows, so something that can be concealed along the waistline is preferable.

Not concerned about price if it'll last. Ideas?
    The Spyderco Dodo was designed exactly for this purpose. Unfortunately it is no longer a regular production knife, but is occasionally made in limited runs.

The blade is 2.06 inches long. The handle is designed to provide a much better grip than most knives with a blade this small. The ball bearing lock is excellent. The pocket clip is discreet, but may need to be bent to optimize tension (all of mine have had to e loosened).

Th linked example is more expensive than most with carbon fiber handles.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyder...n-Fiber--12841

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Of the options I listed above, I'd personally choose the Civivi (which happens to be the cheapest), because it looks well-suited to a edge-in grip.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What folders do you currently use or are comfortable with? Easiest thing to do is cut or have the blade cut too desired length. Most short blades have short handles. The most important thing about a knife is the handle especially for SD considerations or just hard use.

As an example an Endura with a blade shortened gives one many gripping options and something to hold on to (works with gloves also)

Delicas work well for me so that is what I would use

Try manipulating a folder with a 2 or 3 finger grip under pressure

Utility Knives have 1 inch blades but not 1 inch handles

Stick with warncliffe blades for max cutting ability

This is an ongoing concern for me, given that my state is folder-only for concealed, and several cities have “pocket knife, <3” or <3.5” etc.

I freely admit that my current choice is not going to be for everybody: The CRKT Provoke. Sub 2.5”, technically a folder, and most important: very reliable and robust opening. Of course, the glaring downside is: when you finish that robust opening cycle, you’re holding a goddam karambit. But, hey, there’s no free lunch—I decided that the only time I really need a tool like that is under “unequal initiative situations,” so I elected to go with something that I could access and open, every time. I’ve not found another folder that I feel is reliable enough *under pressure*. OMMV on that.

Now, all that said, if one hates karambits, and especially if one hates ringed knives with metal scales (I’m looking at you, @Clusterfrack) then it might be worth grabbing one of the “microjimbos” (mini yojimbo) when it comes out. Mike Janich has *exactly* you and I’s intended usage for this iteration, @Chance. I will most def be grabbing one to check out for myself. ( @BillSWPA )

FWIW:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Take a look at Cold Steel Tuff Lite knives. While cost is not an issue, these are priced so you could have several.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    What folders do you currently use or are comfortable with?
    I'm not a big fan of folders, honestly. I decided to go with Clinch Pick-style knives years ago, but that's not an option presently.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I freely admit that my current choice is not going to be for everybody: The CRKT Provoke. Sub 2.5”, technically a folder, and most important: very reliable and robust opening.
    Can you open that "up" and "down"? Meaning, if your pinky is in the finger ring, can you still deploy the blade?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Now, all that said, if one hates karambits, and especially if one hates ringed knives with metal scales (I’m looking at you, @Clusterfrack) then it might be worth grabbing one of the “microjimbos” (mini yojimbo) when it comes out. Mike Janich has *exactly* you and I’s intended usage for this iteration, @Chance. I will most def be grabbing one to check out for myself. ( @BillSWPA )
    Haven't seen the micro in person yet, but Mike's Chicagojimbo is a great knife. Not sure if/how often 5x5 is doing them, but link:
    https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/...erco-yojimbo-2

Someone needs to revive the Kahr/Delica4 variant. Would prefer an Endura (more more substantial handle) at or about that price point. Link:
    https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C11KAKH/941
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List