Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Folding Knives Under 2.5"

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    If I had to go small, I'd be tempted to try a Dragonfly 2 Salt. Might be a slow one to deploy, though.

I live in a 3" or under jurisdiction, and I have been thinking very hard about putting a 5x5 "Pickpocket" on my Delica Wharncliffe SE. I don't open up a Spydie as quick and fumble-free as I used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Ziptie mode and mounting and opening it up a delica Pi’kal style works very well, too. I prefer bigger zip tie heads that have sharp rather than rounded corners to give a little more bite.
    Pikal style draw: https://youtu.be/6Sk7B-XXCJY

Your wharncliffe is perfect for this sort is use in the reverse edge grip in style.

Name:  IMG_4091.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  9.5 KB
    Note the light blue Delica. The zip tie head has rounded corners. Still works very, because zip head is mounted on the same side as the clip so it gets maximal pocket contact on the way out. Proper technique as is to put just a little forward pressure on the way up and out during deployment, which again ensures that maximal zip head to clothing contact and gets reliable openings every time.

Name:  IMG_4092.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  16.1 KB
    On the dark blue Manix you see the zip tie head is a little more square which gets marginally more purchase than the rounded head, but everything else is essentially the same.

I even have one mounted on my Pi’kal folder because the metal opener fucks up the inside of my pants rather quickly. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Although it may look like there’s slack in those zips, they’re on there pretty solid. Proper mounting is key. If you have a vise, use it.

Name:  IMG_4093.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  34.4 KB

I use pliers to squeeze the edge of the zip head and push it down to get the last click of slack out. If you get more than very minimal movement of the zip head, try the next size zip up or down until you find the sweet spot. You may need to use different sizes ties on different knives because the variable is blade thickness—this is normal.

One thing to keep in mind is the lock you have on your folder. Backlocks like the Delica sometimes experience bounceback where it locks into position and then bounces back out of locked position, obviously very dangerous. This happens when draw the knife out way too aggressively. This does not happen with ball cage and compression locks. Most times the bounceback problem, if your folder experiences it, can be mitigated not only through proper technique but also through playing with loosening or tightening the main adjustment of how the blade sits in the handle.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    The 2.5" Cold Steel Kiridashi has been my EDC utility knife for a while, and does very well. It has stayed surprising sharp, and the pocket clip is unusual enough in appearance (wide and black plastic) that it might not even look like a knife to most people.

I don't like to depend on folders for defensive use (I think the in-fight weapon access problem is much harder with a folder), but once open, this one has some good features in its class: Straight edge for cutting power, strong lock, and a handle that discourages fingers from slipping onto the blade in an edge-out grip, and is very comfortable and secure in an edge-in grip as well.

My venerable Pacific Salt (not in the 2.5" category) has been relegated to swim trunk duty.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Your wharncliffe is perfect for this sort is use in the reverse edge grip in style.
    That Delica Wharnie of mine is a cutter... and is not tolerant of absent-mindedness.

Those are good pics and comments on the zip-tie mod. Much appreciated.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Just bought a set of elk grips for a 1911.

I don’t own a 1911. Yet.
    That thread is the anti-Christ

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    That thread is the anti-Christ
    So is not owning a 1911.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    While we’re flexing on the poors… my defensive folder today is a bit larger than 2.5. Sorry for you bastards who have to be all civilized and shit.

Visiting a free state - Hinderer Maximus, dagger version. For Chicago , a Delica Kahr despite them being “collectible “ now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The Microjimbo is looking good. Pre-orders are up on BladeHQ, Knifecenter, etc.

@Chance could you get by with a 2.7" blade? Like an Emerson CQC-14?

https://www.jtknives.com/CQC-14-Snubby_p_121.html
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    @Chance could you get by with a 2.7" blade? Like an Emerson CQC-14?

https://www.jtknives.com/CQC-14-Snubby_p_121.html
    If he’s at a place where errant USB sticks are a no-go then it’s safe to assume some chucklehead has the ability, and the lack of an interesting life, to whip out a ruler.

I’ve seen bored SNCOs dig out the tape measure for civilian contractors while in a SCIF, so there’s a relevant risk.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    The Microjimbo is looking good. Pre-orders are up on BladeHQ, Knifecenter, etc.
    The good thing about being a blade whore is having accounts at all those vendors dating back decades. Makes P-F impulse buying effortless.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List