Thread: J. Michael Plaxco, RIP

J. Michael Plaxco, RIP

Mike Plaxco, a national champion in United States practical shooting, passed on last week. He was one of the early gunsmiths working on 1911s for competition, who also shot at a very high level like Bill Wilson and a few others. He made the “Plaxco compensator” for .45acp 1911s, and won a US Nationals in 1982 with it. A few years later, he shot for Smith&Wesson using their “factory race guns” in .356 TSW, if I recall correctly. He later worked for S&W as a regional representative.
    He also authored a book, “ Shooting From Within”, one of the early ones on practical shooting.
    I remember him on the ranges I saw him on in the 1980s and ‘90s as a cheerful and positive competitor yet fierce and focused when he stepped into the box.
    Rest in Peace, shooter…
    Last edited by 1Rangemaster; 05-20-2023 at 10:54 AM.

RIP.
    His book was the first one I read about USPSA and I still have it.

I have his book as well.

RIP Mr. Plaxco.

RIP, sir.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Sad news. RIP

Mike was a great gunsmith, great champion, and all around great guy. A humble and extremely effective teacher. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him.

May he rest in peace.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Obituary, I note he was one-year older than me.

Michael Plaxco
    of Corinth, TX

June 9, 1953 - May 17, 2023

John Michael Plaxco passed away on May 17, 2023. He was born on June 9, 1953 in Little Rock, AR. He was preceded in death by his parents, John Raymond (J.R.) and Sue Ellen Plaxco, and his older sister Debbie Trombley. He was married to the love of his wife Donna Yvonne for almost fifty years.

He parlayed an early interest of hunting with his father into a decades-long career as a professional marksman, winning numerous national and world titles along the way. He also nurtured a passion for teaching by hosting instructional courses and producing books and videos. He even appeared on television a few times.

He loved cooking in the kitchen as a supportive team with Yvonne. He cooked chili, grilled steak, and reverse-engineered his mother's revered fried chicken recipe.
    His wisdom and guidance will be missed be all that knew him. He was always joking and uttered quick-witted bits of humorous insight with aplomb. He occasionally liked to drop unusual words mid-sentence, just to see if you were paying attention. He had an affinity for math and could perform calculations in his head without pen, paper, or calculator. He was incredibly observant of his surroundings and could foresee multiple steps before they occurred.

Mid-career, he became a regional sales manager, which allowed him to indulge in another interest: being around people and telling his latest, favorite corny jokes.

He was a voracious reader, always learning and refining techniques. He had many bookshelves filled with fiction and non-fiction books.

He is survived by his wife, Yvonne, their son, Jason (Cherilyn), his nephew, Jonathan Shannon Moore (Amy), and numerous close friends and family.

Visitation for Michael will be Tuesday, May 23, 2023, in the chapel of Roller-Drummond Funeral Home. Funeral service will be held 10:00am, Wednesday at the funeral home, with burial to follow in Hamilton Family Cemetery in Casa, Arkansas.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the National Alliance on Mental Illness at donate.nami.org.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List