Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muzzle alignment versus traditional iron sight alignment

Sight radius comes into affect also. The same sights in a 34 and a 19 give different sight pictures.

That said i used to use .100 width front and .125 notch rears from Dawson with some sight paint for everything and just dealt with the difference before i went all dots.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    We should probably define what type and speed of shooting we are talking about!

I think that would affect my iron preferences quite a bit like it influenced my RDS reticle choices!

I’m talking about tracking <0.20 s splits on 10 yard alphas.

Slow fire B8s, I’d also prefer a more precise system and wider front.
    For slow fire B8s I would prefer narrower. The advantage comes in when transitioning from short/medium range fast splits and transitions to a longer (20yd+) range target at speed. It's basically making a rapid transition from hard target focus with the sights out of focus to a front sight focus and using the sights with precision. Most skilled people can do either one if they start there and most people can transition from long to short but the speed of the transition from short to long and precise is where the weaknesses of irons compared to RDS become glaring.

The obvious answer of course is to just stop using irons, and I no doubt will eventually. The only advantage irons still have is as soon as an optic goes on equipment becomes a factor again. Gear is a time suck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That's great! What's old is new again! I suspect the Bakersfield designers purposely built this into their drill with the brisk pars at the short distances that didn't allow much correction.

But it's been lost as evidenced by current legacy trainers struggling to make basic par times and decrying the sub-second draw as a parlor trick instead of an efficient kinesthetic baseline.

Do you have a link to the SAFE series?
    Sorry I missed this. . . Here's Ron's 10K foot overview of the S.A.F.E. Series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYLLDA3WnM

Other than the material I have, I don't believe it's anywhere on the net. We teach his basic system to the cadets at the police academy I teach at. By the end of the 48 hour handgun program, I'd say about half of the students, "get it" and when they do, you can almost see the light bulb lighting.

Ron explains a bit more in his book about the S.A.F.E. series along with its place in his Reactive Shooting system.

For a real eye opening experience in the what's old is new again! Take the time to read Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting. Many of these concepts have been around since the late 1800s.
    "There are two ways to do most anything- right and again."

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    For a real eye opening experience in the what's old is new again! Take the time to read Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting. Many of these concepts have been around since the late 1800s.
    Thanks for the recommendation! Ordered and arriving tomorrow for $20!

Name:  2D48E96C-6401-434B-8949-FB5F535DAB9F.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  28.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    or the shooter learns to disregard a certain amount of wobble.
    In my experience, there is a lot of truth to that statement at closer ranges at full speed. A "flash" sight alignment not a clear and refined one. Having said that, it take me a lot of dry fire practice draw and press outs to maintain a decent index to get to minimal wobble to be faster and more accurate.

User Tag List