Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RDS for a PC Carbine

Site Supporter

RDS for a PC Carbine

I've been waiting/ reading on Henry's 9mm carbine but feed back seemed underwhelming, and I picked up a Ruger PC carbine a couple of weeks ago, so far I'm kind of impressed, out of the box I had 2 ftf in the first mag but it's been 100% since with just 150-200rds through it, off hand poa / poi is good with 124gr S&B and Norma at 15-30 yd's. The irons are pretty decent but, it's been quite a while since I've shot an iron sighted rifle, old guy eyesight and progressive lenses limit my results somewhat, a RDS is definitely in order. I'm considering a Holosun 510 or 512, I know the 510's an open emitter, 512's larger heavier, both supposedly have good optic's with similar features, buis isn't an option either way but both look like they'd sit low enough to not require a cheek rest addition. My particular application is pretty much just a fun shooter, handy house / yard gun that'll see somewhat regular use as such at 7-35, maybe occasional 40-50yd usage. Any experience or thoughts on this set up would be appreciated.

I've personally had decent success with a Sig Romeo 5 on my formerly braced CZ Evo III.
    If I was to get a different PCC, that's the one I'd go with.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Romeo 5 always sits on a raiser, doesn't it? It may be appropriate for PC Charger, but PC Carbine is intended for sights sitting low, like Bushnell TRS-25 or PA MD-25. The 512T seems like the worst of both worlds because it sits low enough that there's no tunnel to see the irons, and high enough that irons aren't co-witnessed.

Courtesy of Brian Miller aka @bkmiller556 on Instagram. Barrel-mounted dot plus lower 1/3 irons. Not ideal to have a peep sight that far away from the eye, but how often are we really using irons if we have a decent quality dot?

Site Supporter
    It seems like most things, there's trade offs to get buis or, do without. My lgs stocks quite a few rds's and should have a restock of 510C's by Saturday, I'm thinking if that's low enough to be comfortable / and consistent with my short neck, I'll consider that route with the quick detach mount in event of dot failure...trade offs.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have a Romeo 5 on my Ruger and am happy with it. Using the low mount. Seems that the Vortex Crossfire I have on my Scorpion would also work just as well.

That said - I have to warn you that if you are not spending $500-$1000 on your optic you are going to get killed in the street or raped by a bear.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Romeo 5 always sits on a raiser, doesn't it? It may be appropriate for PC Charger, but PC Carbine is intended for sights sitting low, like Bushnell TRS-25 or PA MD-25. The 512T seems like the worst of both worlds because it sits low enough that there's no tunnel to see the irons, and high enough that irons aren't co-witnessed.
    No - the standard Romeo 5 fits any Aimpoint micro mount.

This includes Low 1913 mounts and direct mounts for the micro pattern.

There is some weird variant of the Romeo, five (XDR?) that is made for optics planet where the optic sits on top of the compartment for a AAA battery - that may be what you’re thinking of.

For the money I would definitely go with a Romeo 5 or a PA optic over a Bushnel TRS 25. Plus the TRS 25 uses proprietary mounts.

On another note, modern optics are reliable, and the optic is the primary siding system. If you’re worried about the optic going down, choose a quick release mount. The idea of compromising your primary siding system in order to have a tunnel underneath the sea iron sights is the worst of all possible worlds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Courtesy of Brian Miller aka @bkmiller556 on Instagram. Barrel-mounted dot plus lower 1/3 irons. Not ideal to have a peep sight that far away from the eye, but how often are we really using irons if we have a decent quality dot?

Personally, I would rather not clutter up the optic window like that, but if you were to cut the top half off the rear peep similar to the “Rob Haught” modification for shotgun ghost rings it would likely be a lot more useable through the optic.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the "R5 sans BUIS" combo.

My PCC does duty as my bedroom long gun and I don't have any concern running it without back-up sights. At the distances I'd be using it, I feel comfortable using the tube as an "enlarged ghost ring" in the unlikely even the RDS went TU.

Another thing about the R5 is they are like $125.
    Many of the alternatives are $250-$300, and that starts getting closer to some of the Aimpoint/Trijicon (MRO=$436)/EOtech options that I would rather have.

User Tag List