Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Being raised a country boy I thought they all were , along with 90% of towns . But I'm probably just biased

Smaller city shitholes in my neck of the woods:

Reading, PA. Total shithole.

Harrisburg, PA. State capital and mega shithole.

Newark, NJ. Need I say more? Except there are a few ethnic neighborhoods that are more or less safe and have some kickass restaurants.

Trenton, NJ. Just don’t.

Atlantic City, NJ. Scary, with a nice ocean breeze.

On the other side of the ledger, Pittsburgh is really nice. Bethlehem is charming. Easton used to be a real shithole but has been on the upswing over the past several years.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Reading PA is one of the bleaker places I've ever been through.

More local to me are the parts of Annapolis that are absolute garbage. And if you ever feel the need to experience a mid-size city's garbage factor, drive the Wire Tour. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't experienced a city that sucks the life out of the rest of a state.
    Apparently I need to get an LTT 92 to prepare for this tour...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    The problem for me there would be no reciprocity.

LV falls into my category with NOLA and Shanghai:
    1) Been There
    2) Would Go Back Tomorrow, If I NEEDED To
    3) DGAF If I Never Go Back

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Phoenix, AZ and most of the surrounding areas. No matter the affluence of the surrounding neighborhood, there are packs of zombies inhabiting shopping centers and QT gas stations. It really is a sad sight, the complete waste of humanity, because of drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Parts of most large cities, sometimes the majority.

My personal complaint is with smaller cities that are total shitholes. The most recent one added to my list is Killeen, TX. If there’s a good or even mediocre part, I haven’t found it.
    Agreed, it's a relief once you cross into the base.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to just list the cities which aren't? (Assuming, of course, that such unicorns exist.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Hmm. Salt Lake City, Boise, Bozeman…
    I don't know - I think Bozeman is a starting to become a seasonal shithole. Thank god for hard winters...

Albuquerque, NM

Parts of Chicago. Some parts are really nice and others not so much. I really enjoyed the Museum of Science and Industry when I was there last time, then turned on the news back at the hotel and some was shot 2 blocks away that day.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Salt Lake City, Boise
    Salt Lake certainly has some shithole spots. A few years ago, they ran most of the riffraff out of the city parks and downtown areas in a police operation my wife lovingly refers to as Operation Leafblower. They basically pushed the vagrants and druggies into other parts of the city and suburbs, and into other nearby cities. They didn't really solve the problems. They did arrest and/or offer drug treatment programs to quite a few of the people at that time.

All in all, SLC is not nearly as bad as it could be, and the people still generally support the police and enforcement of law.

Boise is a pretty nice "big" city, but it's also gone downhill in spots, and has its own bad areas. Their current mayor is... problematic. I will say downtown Boise doesn't give me the same anxiety as SLC does, but that may be a case of ignorance on my part. I'm far more familiar with SLC.

I would love to visit Seattle again, but I get the impression that the last ten years have seen it go downhill pretty severely. It's been that long since I visited, and my wife keeps bugging me to make a trip up there to visit some of her extended family (they are mostly living across the Sound, near Bremerton).

The last time I passed through Portland, I was ... less than compliant with their laws. Zero desire to go there again. Shithole 100% in my eyes. I do wish Oregon would unfuck their CCW reciprocity, so I could be legal in their state. (Hopefully that doesnt stray too close to politics) If they did, I'd love to visit other areas of Oregon, and I have family near Medford.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    We seriously considered a rental car.

User Tag List