Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    The Defund Idiots really don't grok the fact that the whole point of the criminal justice system is not to protect the people from the criminals. It's not even to protect the criminals from the people.
    It's to protect everyone from the worst instincts of society. Due process not only ensures that the right criminal gets caught & punished, but that the innocent don't get lynched.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve chronicled my conversations with LEOs from multiple left coast cities in past posts. I’ve told the story of the burglar intervention, and how nobody is coming. For the latest chapter, I am displeased to report that a violent EDP started threatening people in one of chez Totem’s favorite restaurants—including throwing metal bar chairs around, mid-rant. This happened literally right before myself and the Mrs arrived for a late dinner. The barroom manager—who is a friend—was pretty unhappy about the whole event, in particular the fact that the lone front of house server had been in the kitchen on the phone trying crime check, the business line, and especially 911; all went direct to voicemail/messaging, over and over.

This was the moment that an entire restaurant full, in a reasonably affluent part of town, discovered that nobody is coming.

When our buddy got to the part about hitting a voicemail wall, I could feel Mrs T giving me the sideways glance, subtly letting me know in the way that only long-term partners can: “Ok, I get it, you’re not paranoid when you’re always saying that we are on our own, and that the burglar guy wasn’t just a fluke…”

To be fair, I’m sure it gets old hearing me carp on the theme “nobody is coming; better be prepared,” but that doesn’t change the veracity of the statement.

I still love where I live, don’t get me wrong. I’m just disappointed that random portals into the shithole universe seem to be opening up with increasing regularity, mostly courtesy of our city council, with assistance from the state legislature and Governor.

Carry on.

I believe you. But hurt the guy throwing chairs, break a bone, head injury, etc., and those cops will sure take a report and drag the person who hurt them to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Defund Idiots really don't grok the fact that the whole point of the criminal justice system is not to protect the people from the criminals. It's not even to protect the criminals from the people.
    It's to protect everyone from the worst instincts of society. Due process not only ensures that the right criminal gets caught & punished, but that the innocent don't get lynched.
    I am going to start a new movement: Defund the Idiots.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Name:  46BF50B1-B123-4204-8A4F-ADC1A220936C.jpeg
Views: 494
Size:  30.2 KB

Was Lawton Oklahoma mentioned yet, where are my fellow Artillerymen at? [emoji1787]

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I am going to start a new movement: Defund the Idiots.
    I think it’s much worse and more complicated than just idiots.

Why Smart People Believe Stupid things.

“ Despite being irrational, wokeism is nevertheless an intelligent worldview. It’s intelligent but not rational because its goal is not objective truth but social signaling, and in pursuing this goal it’s a powerful strategy. …. human intelligence evolved less as a tool for pursuing objective truth than as a tool for pursuing personal well-being, tribal belonging, social status, and sex, and this often required the adoption of what I call “Fashionably Irrational Beliefs” (FIBs), which the brain has come to excel at.”

https://gurwinder.substack.com/p/why...m_medium=email

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I think it’s much worse and more complicated than just idiots.

Why Smart People Believe Stupid things.

“ Despite being irrational, wokeism is nevertheless an intelligent worldview. It’s intelligent but not rational because its goal is not objective truth but social signaling, and in pursuing this goal it’s a powerful strategy. …. human intelligence evolved less as a tool for pursuing objective truth than as a tool for pursuing personal well-being, tribal belonging, social status, and sex, and this often required the adoption of what I call “Fashionably Irrational Beliefs” (FIBs), which the brain has come to excel at.”

https://gurwinder.substack.com/p/why...m_medium=email
    Totally agree. Have a look at this book. It's by far the best thing I've read on the topic--and one of my all time favorite non-fiction books. (FYI it must be read on a color e-reader, like an iPad).
    What's Our Problem?: A Self-Help Book for Societies Kindle Edition
    by Tim Urban
    https://www.amazon.com/Whats-Our-Pro.../dp/B0BTJCTR58
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I cannot remember the author or exact title. It was dealing with the islamic grooming gangs in Europe. Something like " Why do we get Lynchings."

Premise was that, when your wife, daughter, sister or friend is attacked / raped and the authorities cover it up / ignore it etc.... People will seek their own solutions.

Author was not glorifying this. He was just stating that if no help is available / willing that people will choose another path and that this is predictable.

My opinion: it is best if the legal system works well, other solutions do not contribute to good civic order.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    My opinion: it is best if the legal system works well, other solutions do not contribute to good civic order.
    Vigilantes and lynch mobs are the immediate effect. Long term, you get tribalism, lawlessness, clannish isolation, loss of individualism, and the sort of long running, obligatory and violent feuds seen in tribal societies like the Balkans.
    In this situation, it doesn't matter who gets lynched as long as they belong to the other tribe.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by HJB View Post
    Austin, Texas is a shithole city because if is being overtake by liberals. It's getting just like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and all of the other Texas cities that are being take over by democrats and homeless drug addicts and lazy liberals.
    You mean like this?

Dude looked at all five of us in uniform and commenced to getting his smoke on. We went to lunch as usual knowing that it isn't worth the time and effort to make the arrest in Harris County.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

User Tag List