Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Quote Originally Posted by High Cross View Post

Honestly could be...I do remember once when we were little kids we went to fly out of Newark and somehow my parents got lost on that drive and we wound up driving all around Newark, now that I think about it - I think this was before the 1/9 had a direct connection to the airport...I mean though even looking at a map of it today, it seems really freaking hard to miss.

Student

Mama Mia! NYC rules crack down on coal-, wood-fired pizzerias

(NY Post)
    https://nypost.com/2023/06/25/nyc-ru...ions-up-to-75/
    — must cut carbon emissions up to 75%
    By Carl Campanile and Kevin Sheehan
    June 25, 2023 6:53pm Updated

Mamma Mia!

Historic Big Apple pizza joints could be forced to dish out mounds of dough under a proposed city edict targeting pollutant-spewing coal-and-wood-fired ovens, The Post has learned.

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection has drafted new rules that would order eateries using the decades-old baking method to slice carbon emissions by up to 75%.

“All New Yorkers deserve to breathe healthy air and wood and coal-fired stoves are among the largest contributors of harmful pollutants in neighborhoods with poor air quality,” DEP spokesman Ted Timbers said in a statement Sunday. “This common-sense rule, developed with restaurant and environmental justice groups, requires a professional review of whether installing emission controls is feasible.”

---

This txt came from a friend today:

The other day I’m at Home Depot in the parking lot walking to the door. There’s some weird homeless guy ranting and raving on the path to the door so I went around him and ended up behind some woman who was keeping her distance from the guy. I was literally right behind her when I zipped up my jacket to keep my arms free in case the guy did something weird. As soon as she hears this loud zziippp from behind she goes, “uh-uh, hell no!” and turns around. she looked like she was having a heart attack until she saw me and realized I didn’t have my dick hanging out of my pants or something.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    In Fred Meyer's (hey Oregonians) with my daughter who is 5. We are looking at the kid's magazines in the mag rack. There is a woman to my side. I say to my kid - Give me a kiss baby! The women whirls in fighting form. Seems me holding my little girl and is chagrined.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Shithole Cities Travel Edition:

Baltimore

--

I am not sure why anyone lives in Maryland willingly. I assume sane people who live here, do so because career advancement tethers them here.

ETA: I'm coming back from a trip to Texas. Saw family in Dallas, had a conference in San Antonio, on my way down, stopped in Austin.

Christ Austin is a shithole these days. I stopped at a Starbucks to get a latte and there was a homeless guy in the store sitting at a table, muttering something about the vagaries of invisibility. The staff in the store were just going about their day - indicating a clear acceptance of this as "normal". Dude set off my sketch alarm so hard I turned around and walked out of the store. This particular Starbucks was one my college roommate worked in and managed for a while it was always a clean and well managed store.

When people stop taking pride in things - they go to shit so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Shithole Cities Travel Edition:

Baltimore

--

I am not sure why anyone lives in Maryland willingly. I assume sane people who live here, do so because career advancement tethers them here.
    Why?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Here's an issue - the main library. When I was a kid, I used to like to go to the Grand Army Plaza library, the main library in Brooklyn. Did school paper research, checked out books. Then I walked home - and got mugged at knife point.

The San Antonio Main library was a nice new building, had a good collection - fun to browse. Then it filled with homeless sitting on almost every sofa or chair, sleeping, drugged out. Didn't go there anymore - if my kid had a school project, I took her.

Now, with the on demand computer library book request systems, the main libraries are just becoming homeless shelters.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why?
    Are you asking why I think Baltimore sucks or why I wonder why people live in Maryland?

The former seems self explanatory.

The latter, because the gun laws suck, taxes are high, median income is high compared to middle states, but low for the east coast, economy of Maryland is not particularly diverse, limiting economic opportunity, particularly among the lower economic classes.

Maryland does rank pretty well in terms of healthcare access and that is a big positive for it.

But I mean really the answer is: Old Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Are you asking why I think Baltimore sucks or why I wonder why people live in Maryland?

The former seems self explanatory.

The latter, because the gun laws suck, taxes are high, median income is high compared to middle states, but low for the east coast, economy of Maryland is not particularly diverse, limiting economic opportunity, particularly among the lower economic classes.

Maryland does rank pretty well in terms of healthcare access and that is a big positive for it.

But I mean really the answer is: Old Bay.
    Sorry, the latter regarding Maryland in general. As long as guns aren't something that are top of the agenda (newsflash for echo chambers: most americans don't care), then Maryland can be a decently nice place to live.

As for limited economic opportunities....yeah, I mean, no shit, it's a very small state that is either farmland, Chesapeake swamps, or Appalachia all straddling the DC-Baltimore corridor. If it wasn't for DC/Baltimore, the entire state would basically be middle america. Lots of nice neighborhoods and towns to live in, regardless.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List