Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Any chance the supposed 1000 LEO recruits in the Portland training queue will improve that city's shithole status. $80K/year starting salary and a hiring bonus doesn't sound bad, but I wonder about quality.
    This goes back to the comment about hiring private armed security.

It doesn't matter how many cops you hire if the underlying enforcement policies by the DA are non-existent or counterproductive. Forget a 1,000.... You could flood Portland with 10,000 cops overnight and it won't make a difference when you don't let the police poh-leece. They're just glorified traffic cones if they 1) aren't allowed to effectuate arrests, and 2) those arrests aren't prosecuted effectively. Back in the day this problem could be worked around with the use of street justice, but that's no longer an acceptable way to police in modern America. Thus, we get the current situation.

As for the starting salary, a hair under $80k isn't that exceptional these days among the major west coast departments. Seattle, LAPD, and SFPD are all paying more, as reference...SFPD starting at $103k. Now I'm not saying there won't be any quality candidates being hired, and I'm not saying that $80k is bad or uncompetitive...but $80k/year isn't what is attracting quality candidates; what quality candidates they get are probably there for other reasons.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Just came across this slide today:

Attachment 110028
    State wide as a percentage of the population that's probably accurate. 10% of the US population lives in CA. Now look at the cities like LA, SF, Portland and Seattle.

Probably a different graphic. Homeless people migrate to large cities for the services and drugs. And the climate.

Up until recently the state drug policy here was everything is legal so nobody was arrested for drug use. Seattle was, maybe still is, passing out clean needles so druggies don't transmit disease.

https://www.greaterseattleonthecheap...ange-programs/

Now it's not legal but before you go to jail you get a treatment program on the taxpayer. That's the option. You can't get your drugs in jail but you might be able to stay out of jail with the revolving door treatment programs.

I know a druggie who has been in treatment numerous times. She still uses but so far she hasn't gone to jail. Her dad has mega bucks which is her life preserver. Otherwise she's dead or in prison for dealing.

I also have a friend who's son died from an OD. I knew the kid very well when he was in HS. He didn't have the life preserver.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-29-2023 at 08:33 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think the Fast & Furious movies deserve some credit/blame also.

Recently here in the nearby suburb I grew up in there was a pursuit, I think for a stolen car, that concluded with a pedestrian fatality.

I think some kinda vehicle launched drone might be the future of police pursuits.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a startup opportunity.

I was watching a vid awhile back of a guy on a sport bike who was being observed form a traffic control helicopter doing 120 mph for awhile. Nobody pursued him. They waited until he parked his bike in his garage and arrested him. Easy collar.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-29-2023 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Sounds like a startup opportunity.

I was watching a vid awhile back of a guy on a sport bike who was being observed form a traffic control helicopter doing 120 mph for awhile. Nobody pursued him. They waited until he parked his bike in his garage and arrested him. Easy collar.
    Sounds just like Portland except for the arresting part.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Any chance the supposed 1000 LEO recruits in the Portland training queue will improve that city's shithole status. $80K/year starting salary and a hiring bonus doesn't sound bad, but I wonder about quality.
    No way they are hiring 1000 recruits any time soon. They might have 1000 applicants right now.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Just came across this slide today:

Attachment 110028
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Source?
    The data comes from Stanford University, but I grabbed the slide from this recent interview with the El Dorado County DA (about 4:30 into the video):

This next slide was from an older video put out directly by stanford using data up to 2020 (where they incidentally used the figure California homeless up 42%, the rest of usa down 9%). It illustrates why California's homeless problem is so much more visible than other states:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-29 21.10.06.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  45.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Parts of most large cities, sometimes the majority.

My personal complaint is with smaller cities that are total shitholes. The most recent one added to my list is Killeen, TX. If there’s a good or even mediocre part, I haven’t found it.
    basic rule of thumb:"if they vote blue, that place is not for you"

The data comes from Stanford University, but I grabbed the slide from this recent interview with the El Dorado County DA (about 4:30 into the video):

This next slide was from an older video put out directly by stanford using data up to 2020 (where they incidentally used the figure California homeless up 42%, the rest of usa down 9%). It illustrates why California's homeless problem is so much more visible than other states:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-09-29 21.10.06.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  45.0 KB
    I noticed that FLA is #10 on the list, which isn't surprising, we just hide it better. You won't see homeless people in tents on the sidewalk in my city, but I'm less than a mile from a homeless encampment in a wooded area. My wife worked in a hospital with a woodlot next to it, in which the county estimated 100-200 people were living. A nearby county school system has bus stops that seem to be in the middle of nowhere, but they exist to pick up homeless kids from camps in the woods. My prediction is that we will start seeing them on the street soon, because develop is going full steam, and most of these areas will be built up in short order. The city and county administrations are totally unprepared for that.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    No way they are hiring 1000 recruits any time soon. They might have 1000 applicants right now.
    If it's like Seattle there won't be very many new recruits, even with the $7500 bonus. That won't buy a new Camaro.

https://komonews.com/news/local/seat...nty-washington

User Tag List