Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a class / instructor in or near MO

Recommend a class / instructor in or near MO

One of my goals for 2023 is to complete a pistol training course. I'm looking for something in or near eastern Missouri that would be oriented toward someone who has some experience with handguns but has not undergone formal training. Does anyone have suggestions?

Site Supporter
    There are a good many classes offered around Nashville these days. I don't know if that counts as "close" to eastern MO though. You wouldn't.need a plane, but you would need a hotel. Seems like Rangemaster still teaches in Memphis sometimes.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

What are you looking to get out of the class?

Do you want general marksmanship? Basic intro? Defensive application? Performance shooting?
    David S.

Keith Tyler is one of the best instructors I know. He is based in Enville TN, and runs a training facility.

https://tfiacademy.net
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What are you looking to get out of the class?

Do you want general marksmanship? Basic intro? Defensive application? Performance shooting?
    Defensive shooting. I'm primarily interested in "real world" decision making and shooting under stress, as that's the area with which I have the least experience. My mechanics could benefit from some expert instruction, but I dry fire frequently and shoot with adequate accuracy on the one-way range (nowhere near as good as many of the people on this board, but it's not my largest lack of experience).

Active Self Protection. Evidence Based Pistol. Maryville, IL in June.

Otherwise, of the few dozen itinerant instructors I'm aware of, eastern MO seems to be kind of in a training desert. Here are a few options I dug up that I'd be willing to travel a few hours for.

Hardwired Tactical Shooting. First Responder near Terre Haute, IN in August. (Hopefully the Facebook link works. Not sure where registration is at)

MAG-40. Massad Ayoob's flagship class. October, just south of Chicago.

Citizen's Defense Research has a couple classes near Des Moines, IA.

Tim Herron Shooting has classes in Memphis, Chicago area and IA.
    David S.

I'm going to put in a "thumbs up" for both the Hardwired folks and Ayoob-especially on the leagalities side of things.
    The gentlemen involved also post here from time to time-Wayne Dobbs and Ayoob respectively.
    The other folks may be just fine; I just know the others personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I'm going to put in a "thumbs up" for both the Hardwired folks and Ayoob-especially on the leagalities side of things.
    The gentlemen involved also post here from time to time-Wayne Dobbs and Ayoob respectively.
    The other folks may be just fine; I just know the others personally.
    To be clear. It appears Darryl Bolke and Bryan Eastridge will be teaching the HiTS class. Wayne is great, but doesn't appear to be listed as an instructor in that particular class. A recent FB post indicates that HiTS is pretty much done with open enrollment classes. They'll hold a few private classes here and there, so if you want in on that action, this would be a good time to do it.
    David S.

Is the @John Murphy road show coming to that area soon?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Murphy was scheduled at Armed Missouri, Inc., (near Bland, MO) earlier this year but unfortunately he had to cancel.

On account of the cancellation, I haven’t met the Armed Missouri folks and can’t tell you anything about them, but the fact that they wanted to bring Murphy in is probably a good sign.

User Tag List