Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aaaand, right on cue, here come the AI scams

Aaaand, right on cue, here come the AI scams

Criminals are now using AI to clone voices of family members for scam calls:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/20-...tle&stream=top

”PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. — A terrifying AI scam is hitting Pierce County. Criminals are using new technology to plagiarize the voice of your family members – pretending they’re in serious trouble – all to steal your money.

Criminals are able to use artificial intelligence to clone voices pulled from online videos to make scam calls.

A South Sound family shares what they went through when they got a call from someone they thought was their daughter, saying she had been in a car crash.”

I figure that the suspicion meter of the average P-F member goes to 11 already, but better make sure to tune it up in the coming decade.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Pick up phone..... call troubled party... confirm/refute...

Decide now or she'll die is a clue.

Still... Fuck scammers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Still... Fuck scammers.
    Absolutely. Got no use for them f****** at all.

I could actually get behind the death penalty for some if not most of them.

AI voice clones was the future in T2 (1991). Looks like it has arrived.

https://youtu.be/uaWw5wuBPs4
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    AI voice clones was the future in T2 (1991). Looks like it has arrived.

https://youtu.be/uaWw5wuBPs4
    My wife asked me should we have a safe word for a scammer based on an article she read. I was scared
    Honestly until I figured out what she was talking about.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Absolutely. Got no use for them f****** at all.

I could actually get behind the death penalty for some if not most of them.
    A friend of mine's grandma lost a good amount, high 5 figures, to scammers. They called from "the IRS" about her tax bill. Her husband had recently died and she asked if it was about his estate. Uhhhh....why yes, yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    A friend of mine's grandma lost a good amount, high 5 figures, to scammers. They called from "the IRS" about her tax bill. Her husband had recently died and she asked if it was about his estate. Uhhhh....why yes, yes it is.
    Yeah, not the first time I've heard of someone, typically an elderly person, who recently lost a spouse, who fell victim to one of these assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    My mom and dad fell for one of these asshats a while back. Before the AI thing. Some thing about grandson in jail, need money now...

These PODS should be fair game for pliers and blow torches.

Someone cold-called my Dad with the pre-AI version a few years back, while I and some of his buddies were in the car. The caller started the call with "it's your favorite nephew" and went into the I'm-in-trouble spiel. Dad asked which nephew it was, and they hung up.

I should mention Dad likes to play with scam callers, as do his buddies.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List