Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropping a drone flying over your property

Dropping a drone flying over your property

In the drone thread I mentioned this drone dropping 12ga ammo.
    https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-Skynet...--3-Pack-35975
    My SIL had told me about it yesterday when he mentioned his neighbor had gotten a drone. Cosermann brought up points about the legality of dropping a drone even if it is over your property. I admit I had not thought about that before. Seems to me there should be some protection for a person just like one can put up no trespassing signs on his property. Doesn't seem right that a drone should be able to fly so it can look in one's windows. With todays technology it could be pretty far away so not real obvious that is what is happening. Also I simply don't want someone spying on me from 1000ft up even if I am not doing anything illegal. Thoughts?

If they wanna spy on me they will be disappointed

I’m not that interesting

But if I had a concern about it, I’d go talk with my neighbor.

The United States government owns air space, you do not. I believe it would be illegal to shoot one down under 18 USC 32.

That being said, some states have enacted laws governing the flying of drones over private property.

Isn’t there an FFA reg about low flights being illegal ?

In this day of terrorism, stalking taking down a drone on your property would seem a precaution but is it legal ?

Calling the police about a low flying drone seems prudent. Shooting one down seems like something that could lead to lots of bad things happening.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Isn’t there an FFA reg about low flights being illegal ?

In this day of terrorism, stalking taking down a drone on your property would seem a precaution but is it legal ?
    Drones are supposed to operate at or below 400 feet in most cases.

There are numerous regulations on minimum altitudes for aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Calling the police about a low flying drone seems prudent. Shooting one down seems like something that could lead to lots of bad things happening.
    Agreed, but how is it different from operator planting a camera on your property etc…..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Agreed, but how is it different from operator planting a camera on your property etc…..
    How is it different than google earth satellites and survey helicopters flying over your property Or google street view driving by and taking photos.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t look at updating laws, just tying to understand the current situation/laws first.

I know I have read enough about it to know it seems simple and it for sure is not. Turns out that just because they are unmanned, they are still aircraft and protected as such. I think there are a lotta conflicting regulations that were never an issue until you could get something so sophisticated and capable with just a few mouse clicks.

Drones are aircraft and any drone weighing over 250 grams require registration via the FAA. As stated, the FAA owns the airspace, even the uncontrolled. Local and state laws can only stipulate where the aircraft takes off from and where it lands it cannot regulate the airspace. Shooting down a UAC is a federal offense; however, seldom if ever pursued. Drone pilots flying recreationally require a Trust Certificate for legal flight, commercial flights require Part 107 FAA licensure.

A legal flight is within line of sight, 0-400 feet AGL. 500 ft below and away from any cloud. Part 107 pilots have a few different rules regarding max ceiling AGL when near large fixed objects.

Drones are a secondary hobby of mine.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 05-15-2023 at 12:18 PM.

User Tag List