Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Climbing with guns

IWB at 4 o’clock as normal and I also use Perry style suspenders underneath my tee shirt. Belt is usually a 5.11 and the gun is usually a P365….usually in 9mm but sometimes in .380 auto.

I’ve taken a few falls on steep declines. Once I dusted off, I’d do a quick gear check and press on.

Went on a quick hike yesterday and saw quite the gray rat snake. Close to five foot. Took some pics and we parted ways.

Name:  IMG_6384.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  99.5 KB

Since I’m not too worried about critters on trails and more concerned about felons (van in the parking lot had a shattered window and one of my old coworkers doing a B&e report when we were done) I like to keep the pistol at the same spot my drawstroke knows it to reside. So far, the pistol and spare mag have been secure on climbs and hikes.

Regards.

I like a layered approach. Pistol in a JM George in a Hill People Fanny pack. A Glock 26 or 19 in a George fits but is snug enough the pistol can't come out of the holster no matter how you toss the fanny pack. This allows me to wear the pistol appendix, or in the pack around my waist or over my chest. Or, the fanny pack can go in my pack. Covers every possible method I might want.

Name:  IMG_3799.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3798.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  67.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

You need an MP5 with a good sling!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Let’s discuss how to safely carry firearms while hiking and climbing.

I’m on a trip in Utah and encountered some challenges with carrying my CCW while hiking and climbing in slot canyons. I usually carry AIWB while hiking, and transfer the gun in the holster to my pack when we get to the technical part. However, packs get treated roughly, and I don’t want the gun falling out of the holster inside the pack for safety reasons.

I stuck the holster in the water bladder sleeve, and used a ranger band to retain the gun. That worked well, even when my pack took a 10’ tumble onto rock. (I later discovered that the mag had released.)

This is exactly the situation the Wilderness Safepacker was designed for.

it has been my answer for hiking and mountain biking for a decade or more and I don’t see ever changing it. Numerous falls on to the pistol with no damage, no anything dramatic.

Hammertime
    " the Safepacker was originally designed to completely protect a firearm and its reload for armed mountain rescue teams whose equipment received very hard use in rocky, dusty and sometimes rain-soaked environments." from https://www.thewilderness.com/safepa...lment-holster/

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I like a layered approach. Pistol in a JM George in a Hill People Fanny pack. A Glock 26 or 19 in a George fits but is snug enough the pistol can't come out of the holster no matter how you toss the fanny pack. This allows me to wear the pistol appendix, or in the pack around my waist or over my chest. Or, the fanny pack can go in my pack. Covers every possible method I might want.

Name:  IMG_3799.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3798.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  67.7 KB
    Just curious, do you lash the holster to the fanny pack when it’s carried in the pack? I’m thinking I need one of those.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    Just curious, do you lash the holster to the fanny pack when it’s carried in the pack? I’m thinking I need one of those.

Jason
    Not sure I exactly understand your question. The holster fits snugly inside this fanny pack, so the pistol is retained in the holster by the pack's size plus the normal holster retention.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not sure I exactly understand your question. The holster fits snugly inside this fanny pack, so the pistol is retained in the holster by the pack's size plus the normal holster retention.
    I think he is trying to ask if the holster is somehow bound to the pack so upon draw the holster stays with the pack instead of on the gun.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I think he is trying to ask if the holster is somehow bound to the pack so upon draw the holster stays with the pack instead of on the gun.
    Now I understand. There are plenty of attach points or the possibility of using Velcro to make that happen, but since it is a two hand draw with a fanny pack, I can grab the holster and fanny pack with my support hand. If it was dedicated fanny pack use, without the JM, I would use a trigger guard attached by lanyard to the inside of the fanny pack.

That makes sense. I’ve seen HPG’s videos on their kit gear and they tend to endorse the kydex trigger guard cover things with a lanyard to the kit bag. I haven’t had a need to that sort of rig previously, but it’s looking like I might need something chest worn in the not too distant future. The fanny pack looks a bit more versatile, if slightly less optimized for chest carry, than the kit bags. Any chance a G34 sized rig would fit in the fanny?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List