Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Climbing with guns

Climbing with guns

Let’s discuss how to safely carry firearms while hiking and climbing.

I’m on a trip in Utah and encountered some challenges with carrying my CCW while hiking and climbing in slot canyons. I usually carry AIWB while hiking, and transfer the gun in the holster to my pack when we get to the technical part. However, packs get treated roughly, and I don’t want the gun falling out of the holster inside the pack for safety reasons.

I stuck the holster in the water bladder sleeve, and used a ranger band to retain the gun. That worked well, even when my pack took a 10’ tumble onto rock. (I later discovered that the mag had released.)

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-14-2023 at 09:08 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Good camo.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I keep a nylon and old school leather full flap holster around in case I want to stow a gun in some gear or pack. As an outdoors carry item they work fairly well protecting the gun, but of course may not fit your personal carry style.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I keep a nylon and old school leather full flap holster around in case I want to stow a gun in some gear or pack. As an outdoors carry item they work fairly well protecting the gun, but of course may not fit your personal carry style.
    Good option. I’m going to order a Safepacker for my P-07, but need to make some measurements to figure out what size to get because of the optic.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good option. I’m going to order a Safepacker for my P-07, but need to make some measurements to figure out what size to get because of the optic.
    I think a safepacker is even better than a flap holster for what youre doing.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I don't climb but I have a lot of time hiking/scrambling around rocks in the Rockies and Utah. The Hill People Gear chest bag keeps a pistol on my chest at all times, and hasn't gotten in the way. It also holds map/GPS/clif bars, so I'd probably use it for longer hikes even if I wasn't carrying a pistol. Keeps it handy and makes it so I don't have to take my pack off when getting a snack or doing a map check.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post
    I don't climb but I have a lot of time hiking/scrambling around rocks in the Rockies and Utah. The Hill People Gear chest bag keeps a pistol on my chest at all times, and hasn't gotten in the way. It also holds map/GPS/clif bars, so I'd probably use it for longer hikes even if I wasn't carrying a pistol. Keeps it handy and makes it so I don't have to take my pack off when getting a snack or doing a map check.
    This is what I’ve started to do, especially when carrying a pack of any significance. Makes access and comfort of carrying a pistol larger than a jframe much better.

Climbing/rappelling - rarely do I participate, but when we do, we ditch any gear that might get tangled, so no packs at all, no waist mounted holsters, etc.

I use a Hill People Gear Kit Bag. https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

I really like the Lifter Straps to counterbalance the load with my pack. https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/...1/ProductID/29

Really good topic, I can’t help much. I still hike/ruck a lot but no climbing, IWB carry while doing it mostly. I once had a nasty spill while mountain biking while IWB carrying and had a very nasty Shield 9 shaped bruise on my hip, started carrying the gun in a bag on the bike after that. Didn’t like the idea of off body carry, but didn’t want to wreck like that again with a gun on me again either.

If you have an old wetsuit lying around and some velcro you can easily make a flap covering for a chest rig that prevents snags and decently veils the pistol. People that recognize a chest rig won't be fooled, but people that recognize a chest rig are not usually worried anyways. Provides a side benefit of diverting some water/dirt intrusion as well as a bit of cushion/extra retention.

User Tag List