Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Mark IV Series 70 Colt Combat Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Found a pic of the other side.

You can also see that the frame starts with serial number/lettering indicating a lightweight frame, even though the slide does not.

As has been stated, I would opt for some fresh springs to start. Depending on how much you actually plan to shoot this, you may consider Wilson Combat's flat wire recoil spring. They are supposed to last something on the order of 40K rounds, so effectively with a LW Commander you may not need to buy one again (not that recoil springs are expensive). With the WA state's mag restriction, I personally think a LW Commander would be an excellent choice for a carry gun BTW.

If I were wanting to load for this gun, I would probably throat it for 200 grain H&G SWCs. Set your press up and go for it. A good hard cast 200 grain SWC that shot to the sights doing 950+ FPS from a Commander will likely do pretty most things that need to be done.
    Thanks. A 200-grain lead slug at that speed is pretty much what I was thinking.

Who did the S&W sight installation on your gun? I could definitely see going that way…

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

What do I need to know about its care and feeding, replacing springs, etc.? Are they inherently less reliable than a 5" steel-frame gun? What mods to they typically need to run at their best?

Okie John
    Personally, I’d get a Nighthawk bushing, flat wire guide rod and spring kit for it, and flat bottom firing pin stop. The gun shouldn’t need much else and the flat wire spring gives you some leeway if you’re not diligent on spring changes

Thanks. A 200-grain lead slug at that speed is pretty much what I was thinking.

Who did the S&W sight installation on your gun? I could definitely see going that way…

Okie John
    The work was done prior to it coming my way. It had some Swenson type features, minus the square trigger guard, but without documentation it is not possible to say, and there were some talented smiths of the era who duplicated his work. I updated some things to with a mix of modern features that I felt a proper carry gun should have.

While it has a classic look, I think there are many newer sights on the market these days that would take less work, machining wise to give you a good rear sight picture. I have been contemplating replacing the rear blade with a white outline one for an even better sight picture.

I guess I just read to much Guns&Ammo as a kid. I always wanted a Swenson, but when I could of afforded one he had retired. Maybe one day.

There isn't anything magical about keeping a 4.25" 1911 running. I ran one for 5 years, and took one through a FAST class.

1. Good springs, and change them regularly. I changed them every 1500-2000 rounds.

2. Quality extractor. Mine is a Les Baer and it still has the original extractor but keep an eye on tension.

3. Quality magazines. I ran Chip McCormick 8 round Power mags, and they fed like butter and were very reliable.

4. I always used semi-wadcutter or ammo with a rounded nose profile. I carried Winchester Rangers and they fed without any issues.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Mk IV Series 70 innards are just the same as pre-1970 innards. The defining characteristic of the Mk IV Series 70 Government Model is the collet barrel bushing, NOT the lack of a Series 80 type firing pin obstruction, no matter what you may read on the internet or even in recent Colt catalogs.
    The Commanders* are too short for the collet bushing and therefore were never Mk IV Series 70 guns. They can be Series 80 guns if made after 1983 when the firing pin blocks went in.
    The stuff I forgot that I forgot...
    And then people would take the Series 70 and fit a solid bushing because they were concerned about the collet fingers breaking off.

The roll marks look great, but you only teased us with those pics.

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    The roll marks look great, but you only teased us with those pics.

Just sayin.
    Sorry. These are the only pics I've got.

Name:  Commander Left.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  Commander Right.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  32.6 KB

The gun is on consignment at Pinto's in Renton, WA (https://pintosguns.com/available-firearms/). They have it listed with "Tippman" sights, but it should be "Tappan."

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That is a super cool looking gun!

Based on your location and magazine restrictions, I think that would be a combination of practical and awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That is a super cool looking gun!

Based on your location and magazine restrictions, I think that would be a combination of practical and awesome!
    I agree--it is cool, and the awesomeness of the 1911 is undeniable. But my high-cap Glock mags are grandfathered, so that's a wash, plus an empty Commander weighs as as much as a loaded G19. And mostly, if a Glock disappears into an Evidence Locker, I won't miss it.

Not so for a 1911.

Okie John

User Tag List