Thread: LTT 92 RDO and the Safariland SLS

Site Supporter

LTT 92 RDO and the Safariland SLS

For anyone who might be wondering, it is possible to modify a Safariland SLS to work acceptably with an RDO equipped Beretta 92.

In addition to cutting away a U-shaped portion of the holster body to allow room for the optic, you'll also need to relocate the SLS mechanism about 3/16" further forward. To enable this required slighly reshaping the upper "ears" with a heat gun, to create a flat surface for the SLS mechanism, and the leather liner must be removed to access and relocate the T-nuts that the SLS mechanism bolts to.

I also found it beneficial to raise the rear mounting point of the SLS mechanism slightly, to rotate the entire hood a few degrees further forward. Retention wasn't compromised, but it makes for even more clearance from the optic when opened.

I got motivated to try and make something work after DQ'ing from a 3-gun match recently, when my pistol decided to spontaneously eject during movement. Plus, I already had a couple of 92 SLS holsters in mothballs from back in the day, so it didn't really cost anything to try.

After figuring things out on the tan one, I did a similar mod on my light-bearing SLS, which was much easier since I had the procedure worked out.

I'd considered just calling up US Duty Gear, but decided that modding what I already had made more sense for now, in the hope that they'll release an ALS-style Beretta RDO holster in the future.

I will likely attempt a similar mod with a PX4 SLS holster in the near future.
    Last edited by Dave J; 05-11-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Site Supporter
    Here's a few more pictures.

Name:  SLS1.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  SLS2.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  SLS3.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  42.8 KB
    Last edited by Dave J; 05-11-2023 at 11:01 AM.

User Tag List