Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immediate Action Drills for the Armed Citizen

Immediate Action Drills for the Armed Citizen

@jlw

On the latest episode of Lee Weems’ podcast he had John Holschen as his guest. I am not all the way through the episode because it is longer than my commute, but I hope to finish it in the morning.

One thing Holschen discusses early into the episode is a need for or desire for what he referred to as immediate action drills. In a military context, such drills are a way for the responding party to execute a rapid, no-analysis-required response in order to buy an opportunity to subsequently apply a more thoughtful response to the situation. Holschen stressed the need for these responses to employ only one “branch” (as in “See Stimulus A, employ Response 1”) so as to not present the opportunity for analysis paralysis. An example he postulated was to begin movement if you see the wrong end of a muzzle. If I understood him correctly (and I may not have), he had a decision point of closing distance if within arm’s reach and moving out of the way/off line if beyond that range.

In this same vein, what are some other “immediate action drills” for the armed citizen to consider? What is the stimulus and what is the response to that stimulus? If it’s not immediately obvious, why is it a stimulus to be on the lookout for? Why is that response warranted? If the response involves applying force, are there any legal considerations? Other thoughts?

Site Supporter
    It is a great episode, I’m interested in hearing more on the skills list discussed at the end, a lot like METL (mission essential task list) in the Army where you pick a standard and once you can reliably meet it you can move on to the next skill. Of course a list like that needs to be reassessed yearly but it can be very valuable.

@jlw thank you for your show, it is consistently one of the best ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    It is a great episode, I’m interested in hearing more on the skills list discussed at the end, a lot like METL (mission essential task list) in the Army where you pick a standard and once you can reliably meet it you can move on to the next skill. Of course a list like that needs to be reassessed yearly but it can be very valuable.

@jlw thank you for your show, it is consistently one of the best ones out there.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post

Specific to shooting and your METL…

https://blog.krtraining.com/relative...e-measurement/

If I understand what you’re getting at, some very clueful people have suggested meeting the list of metrics/standards under “reasonable goals” is sufficient to check the shooting box and move on to another skill set.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Specific to shooting and your METL…

https://blog.krtraining.com/relative...e-measurement/

If I understand what you’re getting at, some very clueful people have suggested meeting the list of metrics/standards under “reasonable goals” is sufficient to check the shooting box and move on to another skill set.
    Great link, thank you. I think the shooting part is probably the easiest, although possibly the most overthought of the task groups. The tougher thing in my mind is to identify the various task groups and their reasonable goals. First aid, driving, home security, situational awareness, and so on.

I haven't thought of one yet other than flee as fast as your Nike's can carry you.

It's certainly not "assault the near ambush" from the kill zone as we drilled in the Army. Coincidentally Claude Werner was just writing about how that may need to be unlearned by those who engrained it when they had the mission to close with the enemy.

The point of the immediate action drill as I drilled it in Army training was to condition a unit to react with the same immediate action to a specific threat, together to save the time of forming and communicating a plan in certain emergencies. And getting caught in a near ambush is one heckuva emergency.

I don't know, it seems the civilian better think through a situation and solutions very quickly.

But let's see what folks come up with.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

MUC seems like it's designed as an immediate action-type drill.
    O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I haven't thought of one yet other than flee as fast as your Nike's can carry you.

It's certainly not "assault the near ambush" from the kill zone as we drilled in the Army. Coincidentally Claude Werner was just writing about how that may need to be unlearned by those who engrained it when they had the mission to close with the enemy.

The point of the immediate action drill as I drilled it in Army training was to condition a unit to react with the same immediate action to a specific threat, together to save the time of forming and communicating a plan in certain emergencies. And getting caught in a near ambush is one heckuva emergency.

I don't know, it seems the civilian better think through a situation and solutions very quickly.

But let's see what folks come up with.
    I love this perspective for civilians.

I think the closest thing to an action plan for me is carjacking scenarios and primarily involves escape.

Site Supporter
    Took a Holschen, Insights H2H class years ago. Well worth it.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-IN-12-4-5-21

I was lucky in that the second time I took the above course, John Holschen was there sort of auditing it and also adding his $.02 when necessary. As good as the class was the first time, it was even better with him there.

I told him to his face that I'd take a class with him on how to watch paint dry. I believe he, Greg Hamilton, and GG were the only people to "win" the National Tactical Invitational more than once. He's that good.

I hope he takes the class described in the Weems podcast further east (Virginia??? Ohio????) so I can take it.

As for immediate action, I think one option is consider the places you frequent, consider likely/possible events that could take place, and then pre-plan responses. (Example:
    car jacking with you behind the wheel, carjacking with you outside car in lot/pumping gas, etc). Holschen's ideas are much more generalized, which is, I think, the better way to go. I think once you've done the specifics as I just mentioned, you can look for commonalities between them and then create your IA plans. Maybe?

User Tag List