Thread: Sako 90, new rifle, replaces the 85

Sako 90, new rifle, replaces the 85

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...on-rifle-line/

Short version is that Sako seems to be favoring the US market. This rifle will not be (initially?) available in traditional European calibers (but no .30-06!?). The largest caliber available will be .375 H&H. The 90 loses the quasi-CRF Sako extractor in favor of a push feed action. There are dual plunger ejectors, an apparent fix of the failure to eject malfunctions they had with longer cases. The ejection port is now smaller and contoured rather like Steyr. Also looks like a redesign of the Optilock bases, but some models have integral Picatinny rails.

Looks like some models have threaded barrels. Nice.

I recently read a book on rifles, can't remember the name, and the author felt like Sako build quality really dropped when they went from the 75 to the 85. Curious as to the build quality of the 90.

Also curious how many of these will actually be imported. Tikka is notorious for having many models listed on their website which aren't imported into the US.

Looks like they kept the “Bavarian” during the move from 85 to 90… and in .243 Winnie no less. The old 85 Bavarian was one of the hottest looking rifles ever, in the flesh… er… walnut. I’m already smitten with the 90 Bavarian in the old-school necked down deer/black bear round.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

They brought out a 100 model which has an interchangeable barrel with attached scope base mount. That looks slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    They brought out a 100 model which has an interchangeable barrel with attached scope base mount. That looks slick.
    Be still my heart! My wallet did not need to see that. The wood version is quite nice as well:

I am liking the look of these. The previous version is popping up on sale in some places, but we are talking $1200 vs. $1700 on sale.

Seems clear multilug short throw bolts and threaded barrels are the thing now.

There's a LOT to like here, especially the traditional look and feel instead of a Tier 1/GWOT aesthetic. I think that Sako has learned from the conceptual and executional mistakes that other manufacturers have made.

If I lost all of my rifles in a house fire or boating accident, then I could carry on with either a 90 or a 100, probably in 308.

Also, in the video for the Model 100, did anyone notice that the main character left the house in an SUV but ended up skiing back home?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

4th quarter 2023 for availability?

User Tag List