Thread: What do we think about the M&P10?

What do we think about the M&P10?

I know the M&P15 Sport has a good reputation but I haven’t found much in the way of discussion of the M&P10 (or I haven’t hit the right combination of search terms ).

I’m guessing it’s a hobby grade/decent hunting rifle? Or is it something better or worse?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    There are quite a few posts on it in the .308 threads. One big change is that it looks like the current M&P 10 .308 has a much heavier barrel profile than the original circa 2013 model.

There is also now a "Volunteer" 308, which may be different entirely, and looks like it weighs 10 pounds.

My light barreled one from 2013 has been fine, but has not seen real heavy use. I never free floated it, so accuracy is around 1.5 ish with a scope.

Right now I just have iron sights on mine, just because. . .

Site Supporter
    I bought a scale a month or so ago and it occurred to me I've never weighed my M&P 10 with the skinny barrel.

I just checked it -- wiith Magpul MOE furniture, irons, a Wilson Combat brake and an Aero charging handle it is 8.32 pounds. Not as light as an SFAR, but not bad. My guess is the newer ones weigh more.

I’ve had one almost ten years. It would throw a flyer out of a five round group until I put a free float hand guard on it. It’s pretty consistent now with match ammo at about 1 1/4” groups. I have a Leupold 3-9 VX/R Patrol on it in a Larue mount. I’ve shot it on 12” steel out to 600 yards and it’s almost boring as it seems so easy. SLG who used to post here said it makes a good hunting rifle but, if I recall, didn’t expect that it would hold up to a heavy round count.
    I haven’t shot it in a while but happened to have it out of the safe yesterday. It’s relatively light for what it is. I’ve hunted with it with a VCAS sling. It carried well. I plan on getting it back to the range soon

IIRC the M&P10 has a proprietary barrel. So if you want to upgrade at all it can be a real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    IIRC the M&P10 has a proprietary barrel. So if you want to upgrade at all it can be a real pain.
    I found this: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...-m-p-10-a.html

Looks like going with a DPMS pattern barrel and BCG make it a little less painful.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Thats not what i got out of the link. Seemed to confirm no go on dpms retrofit to me.

"I had the same problem, 308 barrel shot out. wanted a 6.5 creedmoor barrel so I ordered one and it doesn't fit! bummer! so, I purchased a used dpms lr308 and put my new barrel on it"

There’s several posters in that thread that talk about it working.

Interesting!

It appears the M&P10 uses a proprietary barrel extension and bolt. If you swap the barrel you have to swap the bolt as well.

There’s some references to having to swap the entire BCG because it may be proprietary as well. Something about the forward assist notches being in a different location than normal and the tail of the bolt is sized differently so the BCG will only accept (or function with) the S&W bolt.

User Tag List