Thread: Departmental RDS transition courses

Departmental RDS transition courses

Hi,

I may have chance soon for my voice to be heard on a few things, and because of that, I’m looking for the length of the training your department requires to transition to red dots (2 day class, etc). Looking for local, state, and fed agencies.

I’ll need your department name, so please PM me the info or I can provide a .gov email address.

Thanks in advance.

@SoCalDep
    @HCM
    @WobblyPossum
    @TGS

A local agency, we just started this. It’s an optional class, you have to provide your own MOS Glock, dot, iron sights, and holster. There have been two classes so far. It’s two days of training and we fired approximately 1600 rds per shooter. I understand they are going to be ordering extra mos glocks when they buy academy guns to begin trading out non mos guns eventually. I’d imagine the ultimate aim is to instruct red dots in the academy. PM sent with department name.

Jason

Site Supporter
    Oh my. Our RDS conversion took about two hours and 200 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    Oh my. Our RDS conversion took about two hours and 200 rounds.
    Pretty much all the responses I’m getting are 2-3 day courses.

Number of days is a jumping off point, but more useful is the specific plan of instruction and the ratios of admin/lecture/dry/live activities. I know 2-day (or more) transition classes that are really only ~1 full day once start/stop/lunch times are considered, then amount of policy, equipment issue and sign-out processes, instructor bloviating, etc.

Key question: How many minutes does troop actually have gun in hand working skills?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Number of days is a jumping off point, but more useful is the specific plan of instruction and the ratios of admin/lecture/dry/live activities. I know 2-day (or more) transition classes that are really only ~1 full day once start/stop/lunch times are considered, then amount of policy, equipment issue and sign-out processes, instructor bloviating, etc.

Key question: How many minutes does troop actually have gun in hand working skills?
    I’ve received lesson plans from several agencies, and they’ve all been really good. But when you currently spend zero days on transition training, being able to say most other agencies are doing 2-3 day courses is important.

We started with 3, 8hr days. Due to our range availability and the relative ease that most shooters have with the transition the class is now 2, 10hr days. This allows us to do two separate classes in a week. We run 12hrs shifts and this plays into the thought process as well.

SoCalDep can provide some pretty comprehensive resources. I would also suggest reaching out to Jim Dexter (Tactically Sound Training Center / Lisle, IL PD) at tacticallysoundtc@gmail.com for access to his RDS materials, which have been collected from a number of agencies.

My agency transition course is two days and built on a combination of sources with heavy influence from Modern Samurai Project and Sage Dynamics RDS Instructor courses. Our ORI is IA0520200.

Message sent.

We have two courses, one is a shorter one day course for a smaller class (5-10) and the second is a two day class for a larger group (10-20).

I also have a MRDS proposal that could help.

Site Supporter
    Anyone contributing here, please PM me.

I am tasked with generating policy, and training curricula. I can provide a dept email for large files, and based on previous experience writing position papers I want to write an executive summary, with footnotes, referring to documents "that supe" will verify.

pat

User Tag List