Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: .38 Special 148 grain wadcutter load

RFI: .38 Special 148 grain wadcutter load

I am interested in loading a 148 grain wadcutter in .38 special to about the velocity of the Federal Gold Medal 148 grain match. It produces a velocity of about 660 feet per second out of a 2" snubnose barrel and 690-700 feet per second out of a 4" barrel. The velocity can be a bit lower, but I don't want it any higher.

Thanks,

Ed

I run the Hornady 147 HBWC with 2.8 grains of WST. They are really nice shooting and a 10 shot group ran 650.3 FPS with a SD of 6 out of my S&W 642. That's good enough for me!

Out of a 4" M15 they clocked 714.6

ETA: If you want them a bit warmer they could be taken to 3.0 grains without worry, they'll still be nice soft loads.

What powders are you planning on trying? Somewhere around 3.0 grains of W231 under a HBWC should be close. Bullseye at the same charge, ish, should also be close.

The only way to know for sure is to chrono your own loads.

Site Supporter
    Ed,

Are you going to be loading DEWC or HBWC bullets? The charges are different for each.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Ed,

Are you going to be loading DEWC or HBWC bullets? The charges are different for each.
    Yes. And to expound on what Wayne said, you have to be careful not to drive HBWC bullets too fast, as the thin skirt in the hollow base can separate and get stuck in the barrel. So HBWC and DEWC load data isn't always interchangeable.

You may have already known that, but I thought I'd throw it in the ring in case you didn't.

I've had good luck with 3.0 grains of Titegroup. It's safe for both HBWC and DEWC. I have a bunch of Titegroup because it was available during the post-Sandy Hook ammo panic. When it runs out I'll probably try something else because 3 grains is a really tiny charge that will only correctly meter through certain measures.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I use 3.1gr of titegroup with Hornady swaged HBWC. It’s a little hotter then you want at around 800fps from a 4”.
    Definitely load lighter then that for the velocity you want.

Ed,

A friend is doing the reloading. Thanks. I am wanting something slow moving with low recoil.

Ed,

I have a recipe of 2.5grs of Red Dot with a Hornady HBWC. Says that load is 700 fps out of a 4" barrel. Should be lower from a 2" J.

Site Supporter
    Red Dot, Bullseye, 231, Accurate Arms No. 2, 700x, and Titegroup all are fast burning powders well suited to load 38 spl wadcutter ammo. Hodgdon distributes several companies powders and provide on line data. Alliant's Red Dot and Bullseye are usually unavailable. Red Dot and 700x meter poorly.

Site Supporter
    2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain Zero solid-base WC went 635 fps from my 642. I didn't chrono it from anything else.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List